Miami-OH vs UMass Prediction - College Football Picks 9/9/23
Massachusetts Minutemen (1-1) vs Miami-OH RedHawks (0-1)
Game Info: Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Warren P. McGuirk Alumni Stadium)
Betting Odds: Massachusetts Minutemen +7 -- Over/Under: 44.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN+ Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The UMass Minutemen and Miami of Ohio Redhawks face off on Saturday in a Week 2 college football showdown at McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
Can UMass Pick Up Win Number Two?
UMass has already picked up a win this season, but they have also suffered a loss. In the first game of the season in Week 0, UMass was able to beat New Mexico State 41-30. Quarterback Taisun Phommachanh threw for 192 yards completing 10 of his 17 passes. He also rushed 17 times for 96 yards and a touchdown. In the second game of the season, UMass faced off against Auburn, and they were dominated. In that game Phommanchanh completed 8 of his 16 passes 55 yards, zero touchdowns, and one interception. Running back Kay’ron Adams did have a strong game finishing with 14 carries for 101 yards.
UMass Betting Trends
- Massachusetts has lost 34 of its last 37 games.
- Massachusetts has covered the spread in each of its last four September home games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Massachusetts has lost the first half in seven of its last eight home games against non-conference opponents.
- Each of Massachusetts' last five September games as a home underdog have gone OVER the total points line.
Miami Looks to Bounce Back
The Miami of Ohio Redhawks faced off against the Miami Hurricanes in the first game, but they really struggled, and they are going to look to bounce back here. Miami of Ohio hit only one field goal and that was the only points they scored. The defense really struggled giving up 38 points, and they need to step up and be a whole lot better here. Quarterback Brent Gabbert completed 12 of his 21 passes for 127 yards. Gage Larvadain caught eight passes for 80 yards. Running back Rashad Amos was the otp rusher finishing with eight carries for 30 yards. The Redhawks need to find a way to find the end zone in this game, and they need to find it many times.
Miami of Ohio Betting Trends
- Miami (OH) has lost seven of its last eight road games in September.
- Miami (OH) has failed to cover the spread in nine of its last 10 September games as a favorite.
- Each of Miami (OH)'s last six games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
UMass vs Miami of Ohio Facts
- Miami (OH) ranked 24th among FBS teams for H1 points allowed per game last season (10.2).
- Miami (OH) was one of only 27 FBS teams to lose 2+ games when leading after Q3 last season.
Shane’s Free Pick
I think UMass can keep this game close. There is no doubt Miami of Ohio should score more points here, but I don’t think this offense is very good. Miami of Ohio isn’t going to exactly run up the score here, and Brent Gabbert isn’t going to look any more impressive. UMass’s offense is going to find success, much like they did in the first game, and that is going to be the difference here. Back UMass against the spread here.