NHL Power Rankings - All 31 Teams: 2/3/20
Photo by James Guillory-USA TODAY Sports
Power Rankings for All NHL Teams
The NHL hiatus we like to call “The All-Star Break” has ended and regular season play resumed this past week. Let us take a look at how the Power Rankings have altered.
1. Washington Capitals 35-13-5, 75ts (Previous Ranking: #1)
Washington lost to the Predators and Penguins but was able to pick up the easy dub against the Senators. They remain the toughest team in the league.
2. Boston Bruins 31-10-12, 74pts (Previous Ranking: #2)
Boston got off on the right foot after the break, winning two road games against Western Conference clubs.
3. Pittsburgh Penguins 33-14-5, 71pts (Previous Ranking: #3)
The Pens took care of business against two Metro foes, the Flyers, and the Capitals. They are coming around the corner for first place in the division.
4. Tampa Bay Lightning 32-15-5, 69pts (Previous Ranking: #7)
Tampa has had the luxury of having a weak schedule to start the second half, but they got done what they needed and are back on a three-game win streak.
5. St. Louis Blues 31-14-8, 70pts (Previous Ranking: #4)
The Blues have lost three of four to start the second half of the season, but are still in a great spot.
6. Vancouver Canucks 30-18-5, 65pts (Previous Ranking: #12)
Vancouver has won five straight as they are one of the biggest jumpers on this list. Rookie Quinn Hughes has played fantastic as of late.
7. Columbus Blue Jackets 28-16-5, 65pts (Previous Ranking: #8)
Columbus has now jumped the Islanders for third place in the Metropolitan division, albeit they have played three more games than NYI.
8. New York Islanders 29-15-6, 64 pts (Previous Ranking: #5)
The Islanders lost to Vancouver in OT in a game where they were lucky to get a point. The Isles will look to get back on track in their next few games.
9. Toronto Maple Leafs 28-17-7, 63pts (Previous Ranking: #15)
Toronto is starting to heat up now after winning three straight games. The offense has played well naturally, but the defense has been surprisingly positive lately as well.
10. Carolina Hurricanes 30-19-3, 63pts (Previous Ranking: #11)
A loss and a shootout win for Carolina this week. They are right behind the Islanders and tied with Philadelphia in the Metro.
11. Philadelphia Flyers 28-17-7, 63pts (Previous Ranking: #10)
The Flyers have gotten three points in their first two games back from the All-Star weekend. They, like many other teams in the Metro, are right in it.
12. Colorado Avalanche 28-16-6, 62pts (Previous Ranking: #6)
Colorado lost to Philadelphia badly, 6-3 on the road to start the second half of the season. Any loss is bound to hurt a team immensely this season, and this one did for Colorado.
13. Edmonton Oilers 28-18-6, 62pts (Previous Ranking: #13)
Two wins and a shootout loss for Edmonton and the Oilers are climbing the standings in the Pacific.
14. Dallas Stars 29-18-4, 62pts (Previous Ranking: #14)
Two overtimes wins and a loss to Toronto has been the start for Dallas after the break. They now have the Rangers and Islanders on the road ahead of them.
15. Vegas Golden Knights 27-20-7, 61pts (Previous Ranking: #18)
A much-needed good start for the Knights was granted as Vegas pulled out two road wins this past week.
16. Florida Panthers 28-17-5, 61pts (Previous Ranking: #9)
Florida was blanked 4-0 in their only game of the week, therefore they take a huge fall in the power rankings.
17. Calgary Flames 27-20-6, 60pts (Previous Ranking: #16)
A shootout win and loss, matched with an ugly 8-3 smackdown loss sum up the week for Calgary.
18. Chicago Blackhawks 25-21-6, 56pts (Previous Ranking: #19)
Chicago took down Arizona in their only game this week, so it is only fair that they jump the Yotes in the power rankings. What an amazing shootout goal by Patrick Kane!
19. Arizona Coyotes 26-21-7, 59pts (Previous Ranking: #17)
Arizona has lost five in a row now, although in the last two they were able to secure a point. They need to figure it out fast or the season will pass them by.
20. Winnipeg Jets 26-23-4, 55pts (Previous Ranking: #21)
A loss to Boston but a win over St. Louis make this a positive week for Winnipeg in a season where there have not been too many positives.
21. New York Rangers 25-21-4, 54pts (Previous Ranking: #25)
The Rangers swept the home-and-home against the despicable Red Wings to pick up two… wins, a win is a win I guess.
22. Nashville Predators 24-20-7, 55pts (Previous Ranking: #23)
The Predators defeated Washington and New Jersey but were shutout by the Golden Knights at home this week.
23. Montreal Canadiens 24-23-7, 55pts (Previous Ranking: #22)
Two wins, two losses, for Montreal. Carey Price has been playing in many games recently, so at least he is feeling 100%.
24. Buffalo Sabres 23-22-7, 53pts (Previous Ranking: #24)
Two losses were followed by a beautiful overtime winner by Jack Eichel and Buffalo.
25. Minnesota Wild 23-22-6, 52pts (Previous Ranking: #20)
The Wild lost at home to the Bruins 6-1 in their only game this past week. Any loss at home by that kind of score will leave a very bad taste in your mouth.
26. San Jose Sharks 22-27-4, 48pts (Previous Ranking: #26)
They took care of Anaheim but were outplayed badly by Vancouver and Tampa Bay not soon after. What a sad year for San Jose.
27. Anaheim Ducks 21-26-5, 47pts- (Previous Rankings: #27)
Quack! Quack! The Ducks were busy this week with four games, two of which they won, and two they lost. Fun fact, a team has scored exactly four goals in six of the Duck’s last eight games.
28. New Jersey Devils 18-24-9, 45 pts - (Previous Ranking: #28)
Four points for New Jersey this past week even though they only won one game. They have now lost nine games in overtime/shootout which is a rather high total.
29. Ottawa Senators 18-24-10, 46 pts - (Previous Ranking: #30)
Ottawa also collected four points this week while only winning a single game. They should be the biggest sellers at the trade deadline.
30. Los Angeles Kings 19-29-5, 43pts - (Previous Ranking: #29)
An overtime win over Arizona and two regulation losses to Anaheim and Tampa Bay were the results of the past week for LAK.
31. Detroit Red Wings 12-37-4, 28pts - (Previous Ranking: #31)
The Red Wings are projected about 43 points this season, but who needs points in the standings when you are in the Motor City baby!