Chargers vs Chiefs Prediction - NFL Picks 10/22/23
Kansas City Chiefs (5-1) vs Los Angeles Chargers (2-3)
Game Info: Sunday, October 22, 2023 at 4:25 pm (GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium)
Betting Odds: Kansas City Chiefs -5.5 -- Over/Under: 48 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: CBS Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Los Angeles Chargers and Kansas City Chiefs face off on Sunday in an NFL showdown at Arrowhead Stadium.
Why Do Chargers Keep Failing Late?
It always feels like when the Chargers are down late in the game and they have a chance to drive it for a touchdown, and to win, they can’t seem to win. In the last game against the Cowobys they had a chance to win it late, but couldn’t find the end zone and ended up losing 20-17. Justin Herbert completed 22 of his 37 passes for 227 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception. The Chargers are averaging 25.4 points while their defense is giving up 24.8 points per game.
Chargers Betting Trends
- The Chargers have won each of their last three games as road underdogs following a loss.
- The Chargers have covered the spread in each of their last four Sunday games against the Chiefs.
- The Chargers have won the first quarter in five of their last six games as road underdogs.
- The Chargers have won the first half in five of their last six games as moderate underdogs (+3.5 to +7.0 points).
- The Chargers have scored the first touchdown in each of their last 10 games against AFC opponents.
How Good are the Chiefs?
The Chiefs sit with a 5-1 record overall but I still am not sure how good they actually are. They are no doubt a talented team, but they haven’t always looked dominant. In the last game against the Denver Broncos the Chiefs scored 19 points. Patrick Mahomes completed 30 of his 40 passes for 306 yards, one touchdown, and one interception. Isaiah Pacheco finished with 16 carries for 62 yards. The Chiefs are averaging 24.5 points while their defense is giving up 14.7 points per game.
Chiefs Betting Trends
- The Chiefs have won each of their last 12 games at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium before a Division game.
- The Chiefs have covered the spread in six of their last seven games at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium before a Division game.
- The Chiefs have won the first quarter in each of their last six Sunday home games.
- The Chiefs have won the first half in each of their last nine home games.
- The Chiefs have scored the first touchdown in each of their last eight Sunday games at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium.
Shane’s Free Pick
The Chargers are going to keep this game close. Although the Chargers have struggled to close out games late, they can keep it close, and that will be the case again here. Herbert is going to have a big game against the Chiefs. The Chiefs offense also is going to have to settle for a couple of field goals and that will be the difference here. Back the Chargers to cover the spread here.