Detroit Lions (3-1) vs Carolina Panthers (0-4)
Game Info: Sunday, October 8, 2023 at 1:00 pm (Ford Field)
Betting Odds: Detroit Lions -7.5 -- Over/Under: 44.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Carolina Panthers will make the trip to the Motor City to meet the Detroit Lions in a battle of big cats this Sunday from Ford Field.
Carolina Panthers Preview
Carolina comes in at 0-4 after losing to Minnesota in Charlotte, 21-13. The Panthers led at the break, but they failed to score in the second half, and they’ll look to avoid a fifth straight loss this weekend. The Carolina offense is scoring 16.8 ppg, while passing for 216.0 ypg, rushing for 95.3 ypg, and converting 39.3% of their third downs.
Carolina Player Props
• Bryce Young returned last week and had a solid outing against Minnesota, going 25/32 for 204 yards, but a costly fumble would lead to the Panthers losing. The rookie quarterback hasn’t been able to deliver winning results just yet, and he’ll look to change that here in Week 5. Young has passed for 502 yards with two touchdowns to two interceptions thru three starts.
• Miles Sanders has struggled thru the last three contests, failing to meet the 50-yard mark in each game, but he still leads the Panthers in rushing with 158 yards on 54 carries.
• Adam Theilen has taken control in the wideout room, and after collecting seven catches or more in three straight games, he leads Carolina in receptions ;27) and receiving yards (287).
• The Carolina defense has allowed 25.5 ppg.
Detroit Lions Preview
Detroit improved to 3-1 after defeating Green Bay on the road, 34-20. The Lions bullied the Packers early, then held on to defeat them for the third straight time, and they’ll now look to keep things going here at home. The Detroit offense is scoring 26.5 ppg, while passing for 257.3 ypg, rushing for 136.5 ypg, and converting 38.6% of their third downs.
Detroit Player Props
• Jared Goff was able to relax in the second half of last week's win, and he finished with 210 yards with a score and a pick. The former Rams QB has gone from being overrated to becoming one of the more reliable signal callers in the league, and he’ll look to deliver more winning results this weekend.
• David Montgomery has scored in the first three contests, and after dashing for 121 yards in the win over Green Bay, and he leads the team in rushing yardage (262).
• Jahmir Gibbs has surpassed the 50-yard mark in all four games, and he’s due to have a stronger performance soon.
• Amon-Ra St. Brown comes into this weekend doubtful to play, so Josh Reynolds could be in for a bigger workload, and he’s reached the 65-yard mark in all three of his appearances this season.
• Sam LaPorta may also see a few more a targets, as the rookie tight end has become a security blanket early for Jared Goff. LaPorta has caught five passes or more in three of the first four games, and he’s posting splits of 22/242/1.
• The Detroit defense is allowing 20.8 points per game.
Carolina vs Detroit Trends
• CAR is 1-3 against the spread, with a 1-3 O/U record.
• DET is 3-1 ATS, with a 2-2 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
Detroit made a statement last Thursday in Green Bay, and I don’t think they’ll slip up here against a winless Carolina team. The Panthers have managed to compete in each of the last three games, but they just haven’t been able to reach the finish line, and they’re in for another uphill battle here. With Amon-Ra St. Brown set to miss this contest, we should see Detroit lean on their ground game, and physical defense, so versus testing the big NFL margin, I like rolling with the Under for this battle of big cats.