Patriots vs Jets Prediction - NFL Picks 9/24/23
New York Jets (1-1) vs New England Patriots (0-2)
Game Info: Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 1:00 pm (MetLife Stadium)
Betting Odds: New York Jets +2.5 -- Over/Under: 36.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: CBS Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The New England Patriots and New York Jets face off on Sunday in a Week 3 NFL showdown at MetLife Stadium.
Can the Patriots Throw it Down Field?
The Patriots come into this game with an 0-2 record and one of the big reasons is because the offense has failed to have explosive plays. The offensive line has struggled to protect Mac Jones and that has limited their ability to push the ball deep. Coming into this game the Patriots sit with an 0-2 record and the losses have been the Miami Dolphins and the Philadelphia Eagles. The Patriots are averaging 18.5 points while their defense is giving up 24.5 points per game. The offense is ranked 22nd in the league while the defense is ranked 17th. Offensive lineman Trent Brown is dealing with a concussion and it’s unclear if he’s going to be able to go in this game. The running game also hasn’t been good enough and as a team they have rushed for only 164 yards.
Patriots Betting Trends
- The Patriots have won each of their last 11 Sunday games against the Jets.
- The Patriots have failed to cover the spread in each of their last six games.
- The Patriots have won the first quarter in eight of their last nine September road games against AFC East opponents.
- The Patriots have won the first half in nine of their last 10 September games as favorites against AFC opponents.
- The Patriots have scored the first touchdown in each of their last four games as favorites.
Can Wilson Give the Jets a Chance?
The Jets defense is good, even though they gave up 30 points in the last game this is still a very talented group. In this game though, the Jets defense is going to need to be near perfect, because Zach Wilson doesn’t look like he’s going to be a whole lot better this season. Wilson in the last game against the Cowboys completed 12 of his 27 passes for 170 yards, one touchdown, and three interceptions. Decision making has been Wilson’s biggest issue, and it looks like it’s going to be an issue again this season. The Jets are averaging 16 points while their defense is giving up 23 points per game.
Jets Betting Trends
- The Jets have lost each of their last six Sunday games.
- The Jets have failed to cover the spread in seven of their last eight September games at MetLife Stadium.
- The Jets have lost the first quarter in each of their last six home games in September.
- The Jets have lost the first half in 13 of their last 14 September games as underdogs.
- Each of the Jets' last six games played as underdogs on the East Coast have gone UNDER the total points line.
Jets vs Patriots Facts
- The Jets ranked 31st in the NFL in fumbles recovered (4) last season
- The Jets ranked 3rd in the NFL in passing yards allowed per game (189.4) last season
- The Patriots ranked 32nd in the NFL in average yards per punt (42.3) last season
- The Patriots were one of only two teams in the NFL to rank top 5 for both interceptions and sacks last season
Shane’s Free Pick
The question is can Wilson give the Jets a chance? I don’t think he can. The Jets defense is going to be better than they were in the last game, but the Patriots aren’t going to need to score many points in this game to cover the spread. The Patriots are going to score at least 17 points here and that is going to need to be the difference here. Wilson is going to have at least a couple of turnovers here, and that is going to be the difference here as the Patriots will get the job done. Back the Patriots against the spread.