Falcons vs Lions Prediction - NFL Picks 9/24/23
Detroit Lions (1-1) vs Atlanta Falcons (2-0)
Game Info: Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 1:00 pm (Ford Field)
Betting Odds: Detroit Lions -3 -- Over/Under: 46.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: FOX Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions face off on Sunday in a Week 3 NFL showdown at Ford Field.
Can the Falcons Move to 3-0?
The Falcons have been tested in each of the two games so far this season, but they have come out on top. In the last game against the Green Bay Packers, it took 13 points in the 4th quarter and that was enough to secure the 25-24 victory. Desmond Ridder completed 19 of his 32 passes for 237 yards, one touchdown, and one interception. The real star of this offense has been rookie running back Bijan Robinson and in the last game he finished with 19 carries for 124 yards. The Falcons on the season are averaging 24.5 points while their defense is giving up 17 points per game.
Falcons Betting Trends
- The Falcons have won each of their last four Week 3 games as underdogs against NFC opponents.
- The road team has covered the spread in seven of the Falcons' last eight Week 3 games.
- The Falcons have lost the first quarter in each of their last three road games against NFC opponents.
- The Falcons have lost the first half in six of their last seven games as road underdogs.
- Eight of the Falcons' last nine games as underdogs have gone UNDER the total points line.
How Good are the Lions?
The Detroit Lions come into this game with a 1-1 record overall, and there are some questions about how good this team in. In the first game the Lions faced off against the Kansas City Chiefs and they were able to secure the 21-20 victory. In the last game against the Seattle Seahawks, they blew the game late and ended up losing by six points in overtime. Jared Goff completed 28 of his 35 passes for 323 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception. David Montgomery finished with 67 yards and a touchdown, but he was also hurt in the game and he’s questionable for this game.
Lions Betting Trends
- The underdogs have won five of the Lions' last six games.
- The Lions have covered the spread in each of their last six home games following a home loss.
- The Lions have scored the first touchdown in 16 of their last 20 games as home favorites.
- The underdogs have won the first quarter in each of the last two games between the Falcons and Lions.
- The Lions have won the first half in each of their last six Sunday games at Ford Field.
Falcons vs Lions Facts
- The Lions ranked 1st in the NFC North for average point differential last season (+1.5)
- The Lions ranked 1st in the NFC North for total yards per game last season (380.0)
- The Falcons ranked 1st in the NFC South for rushing yards per game last season (159.9)
- The Falcons ranked 31st in the NFL in passing yards per game (158.8) last season
Shane’s Free Pickk
The Lions are going to pick up their second win of the season here. Ridder has played well so far this season, but I still am not sold on him. The Lions are going to make the Falcons one dimensional in this game. Jared Goff is going to have no issue throwing the ball over the Lions defense, and that is going to be the difference here. The Lions are going to score at least 30 points and that will be enough for the home team to win this game and cover the spread.