Saints vs Panthers Prediction - NFL Picks 9/18/23
Carolina Panthers (0-1) vs New Orleans Saints (1-0)
Game Info: Monday, September 18, 2023 at 7:15 pm (Bank of America Stadium)
Betting Odds: Carolina Panthers +3 -- Over/Under: 40 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN, ESPN2 Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The New Orleans Saints and Carolina Panthers meet in Monday Night Football week 2 NFL action at Bank of America Stadium. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
New Orleans Saints Betting Preview
The New Orleans Saints look for another win after beating the Titans opening week. The Saints look for their first 2-0 start since the 2013 season. Derek Carr is completing 69.7 percent of his passes for 305 yards, 1 touchdown and 1 interception. Chris Olave and Rashid Shaheed have combined for 201 receiving yards and 1 touchdown, while Michael Thomas has 5 receptions. The New Orleans Saints ground game is averaging 69 yards per contest, and Jamaal Williams leads the way with 45 yards on 18 carries. Defensively, New Orleans is allowing 15 points and 285 yards per game. Demario Davis leads the New Orleans Saints with 10 tackles, Carl Granderson has 1.5 sacks and Marshon Lattimore has 1 interception.
New Orleans Saints Team Facts
- The Saints have lost four of their last five Week 2 games as road favorites.
- The Saints have failed to cover the spread in each of their last seven Week 2 games as favorites.
- The Saints have lost the first quarter in five of their last six Monday games against teams that held a losing record.
- The Saints have lost the first half in four of their last five games as slight favorites (<-3.5 points).
- The Saints have scored the first touchdown in each of their last four games against NFC opponents.
New Orleans Saints Player Prop Facts
- Taysom Hill has scored a touchdown in four of his last five road appearances against NFC opponents.
- Derek Carr has recorded 252+ passing yards in each of his last nine September appearances.
- Derek Carr has thrown two touchdowns in seven of his last eight appearances in September.
- Jamaal Williams has recorded 10+ receiving yards in each of his six previous Monday appearances.
- Jamaal Williams has recorded 59+ rushing yards in five of his last six road appearances against NFC opponents.
- Jamaal Williams ranked 1st in the NFL in Rushing Touchdowns (17) last season
Carolina Panthers Betting Preview
The Carolina Panthers look for a win after losing to the Falcons in their season opener. The Panthers look to avoid their fourth 0-2 start in the last 5 years. Bryce Young is completing 52.6 percent of his passes for 146 yards, 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions. Hayden Hurst and Miles Sanders have combined for 67 receiving yards and 1 touchdown, while Terrace Marshall Jr. has 2 receptions. The Carolina Panthers ground game is averaging 154 yards per contest, and Sanders leads the way with 72 yards on 18 carries. Defensively, Carolina is allowing 24 points and 221 yards per game. Derrick Brown leads the Carolina Panthers with 8 tackles, Brian Burns has 2 sacks and Derrick Brown has 1 sack.
Carolina Panthers Team Facts
- The underdogs have won eight of the Panthers' last nine games at Bank of America Stadium.
- The underdogs have covered the spread in eight of the Panthers' last nine games at Bank of America Stadium.
- The Panthers have won the first quarter in four of their last five September games as home underdogs.
- The Panthers have won the first half in seven of their last eight Week 2 home games.
- The Panthers have scored the first touchdown in each of their last five Monday games.
Carolina Panthers Player Prop Facts
- Adam Thielen has scored a touchdown in each of his last four appearances following a loss.
- Miles Sanders has recorded 61+ rushing yards in each of his three previous appearances against the Saints.
- Miles Sanders ranked 2nd in the NFC for Rushing Yards (1269) last season
- The Panthers ranked 29th in the NFL in yards per game (306.2) last season
- The Panthers ranked 29th in the NFL in passing yards per game (176.2) last season
- The Saints ranked 1st in the NFC South for points allowed per game last season (20.3)
- The Saints ranked 1st in the NFC South for average point differential last season (-0.9)
The New Orleans Saints are just the more talented team, and I believe they're going to get better the more Carr and others get comfortable. The Carolina Panthers are used to slow starts to the season as this would be their fourth 0-2 start in the last 5 years and Bryce Young didn't look good in his first NFL game. It could be a long season for the Panthers if they don't get their act together quickly. I'll lay the field goal with the Saints on the road.