Seahawks vs Lions Prediction - NFL Picks 9/17/23
Detroit Lions (1-0) vs Seattle Seahawks (0-1)
Game Info: Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 1:00 pm (Ford Field)
Betting Odds: Detroit Lions -5 -- Over/Under: 47.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: FOX Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Seattle Seahawks and Detroit Lions face off on Sunday in a Week 2 NFL showdown at Ford Field.
Will the Lions Win the NFC North?
The Lions have high expectations for this season, and in Game 1 they were able to secure the victory over the Kansas City Chiefs. At halftime against the Chiefs they were down 14-7 and it looked like they might pick up a loss. In the second half though they were able to fight back and win 21-20. The defense was the concern heading into the season, but against the Chiefs they showed it might not be a weakness this year. Under center for the Lions is Jared Goff who completed 22 of his 35 passes for 253 yards and a touchdown. David Montgomery also finished with 21 carries for 74 yards and a touchdown. Josh Reynolds also finished with 80 yards through the air.
Lions Betting Trends
- The Lions have lost each of their last six games at Ford Field following a road win.
- The Lions have covered the spread in 10 of their last 11 games.
- The Lions have scored the first touchdown in six of their last seven Week 2 games.
- The Lions have lost the first quarter in 10 of their last 15 Sunday games against teams that held a losing record.
- The Lions have won the first half in eight of their last nine September games as favorites.
How do the Seahawks Bounce Back?
Is this going to be a bad season for the Seahawks? The Seahawks faced off against the Los Angeles Rams and they looked awful. At home the defense gave up 30 points and the offense only managed 13 points. At halftime, they were up 13-7, but in the second half they failed to score any points. Geno Smith completed 16 of his 26 passes for 112 yards and a touchdown. Kenneth Walker finished with 12 carries for 64 yards. They allowed Matthew Stafford to throw for 334 yards. In this game, the defense is going to need to step up.
Seahawks Betting Trends
- The Seahawks have won four of their last five Sunday games as underdogs.
- The Seahawks have failed to cover the spread in nine of their last 10 games.
- The Seahawks have lost the first quarter in five of their last six games against NFC opponents.
- The Seahawks have lost the first half in each of their last four Week 2 games as underdogs.
- The Seahawks have scored the first touchdown in four of their last five games against NFC North opponents.
Lions vs Seahawks Facts
- The Lions ranked 1st in the NFC North for average point differential last season (+1.5)
- The Lions ranked 1st in the NFC North for total yards per game last season (380.0)
- The Seahawks ranked 30th in the NFL in rushing yards allowed per game (150.2) last season
- The Seahawks ranked T4th in the NFL in fumbles recovered (11) last season
Shane’s Free Pick
This game is going to be a shootout. The Seahawks defense was awful in the last game and they are going to really struggle to slow down Jared Goff in this game. The Lions could go over 35 points here and it wouldn’t shock me. I do expect the Lions defense to slip a little bit in this game, and Geno Smith is going to be better here. The Seahawks offense is also going to find plenty of success scoring here. This is going to be the highest scoring game of the weekend. Back the over to cash.