Panthers vs Falcons Prediction - NFL Picks 9/10/23
Atlanta Falcons (0-0) vs Carolina Panthers (0-0)
Game Info: Sunday, September 10, 2023 at 1:00 pm (Mercedes-Benz Stadium)
Betting Odds: Atlanta Falcons -3.5 -- Over/Under: 39.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: FOX Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Carolina Panthers and Atlanta Falcons face off on Sunday in a Week 1 NFL showdown at Mercedes-Benz Superdome.
All Eyes on Bryce Young
The Panthers tried to improve their wide receiver room this offseason to give Bryce Young more weapons to throw to. Young was selected with the first overall pick in April by the Panthers after he was a standout at Alabama. There will probably be some growing pains with Young, but there is some quiet belief around the team that he should be good early on. Adam Thielen was brought in this offseason and should be another weapon Young can use here. Running back Miles Sanders also came in from the Philadelphia Eagles, and he’s going to be key here. In the second preseason game, Bryce Young completed 3 of his 6 passes for 35 yards. The defense last year was the strength and they are going to need to be good to take the pressure off of Young. In this game, the Panthers are going to need a big game from Young also.
Panthers Betting Trends
- The Panthers have lost each of their last 10 games as road underdogs before a Division game.
- The underdogs have covered the spread in seven of the Panthers' last eight games.
- The Panthers have won the first half in each of their last four games as slight underdogs (<+3.5 points).
- The Panthers have scored the first touchdown in four of their last five games as underdogs.
- The Panthers have won the first quarter in each of their last three September games as underdogs.
Falcons Look Like a True Wild Card
The Falcons could win 10 games this season, or they could win four games, and neither would actually be that surprising for me. Desmond Ridder is entering his second year in the league, and he might be considered more of a game manager, at least in this offense. With the way the Falcons drafted this year, it’s clear this is a run first team. Tyler Allgeier rushed for over 1000 yards last year, but he’s the backup now. The team drafted Bijan Robinson out of Texas and many believe he could be the offensive rookie of the year this year. This team still has Kyle Pitts but he has been inconsistent so far during his career.
Falcons Betting Trends
- The Falcons have lost each of their last six September games as home favorites.
- The Falcons have failed to cover the spread in each of their last six September games as home favorites.
- The Falcons have scored the first touchdown in six of their last seven home games against the Panthers.
- The Falcons have lost the first quarter in four of their last five September games as home favorites.
- The Falcons have lost the first half in five of their last six September games as favorites.
Falcons vs Panthers Facts
- The Falcons ranked 1st in the NFC South for rushing yards per game last season (159.9)
- The Falcons ranked 31st in the NFL in passing yards per game (158.8) last season
- The Panthers ranked 4th in the NFL in total punt yards (3925) last season
- The Panthers ranked 28th in the NFL in average punt return (6.4 yards) last season
Shane’s Free Pick
I actually don’t think the Falcons are going to have a very good year, but I do believe they are a much better team here. There is going to be some growing pains with Bryce Young, and I really don’t see the Panthers offense being good this season. I expect a big game from Robinson and Allgeier here. I also am looking for a big season from Pitts and he’s going to find the end zone at least once. Ridder is going to do a good job of not turning the ball over and that will be the difference as the Falcons are going to get the job done. Back the Falcons against the spread.