Eagles vs Patriots Prediction - NFL Picks 9/10/23
New England Patriots (0-0) vs Philadelphia Eagles (0-0)
Game Info: Sunday, September 10, 2023 at 4:25 pm (Gillette Stadium)
Betting Odds: New England Patriots +4 -- Over/Under: 45.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: CBS Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Philadelphia Eagles will play the New England Patriots in Week 1 of the NFL regular season on Sunday afternoon at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts. The Eagles are looking to make another deep run in the playoffs this year, while New England will try to get back over the .500 mark that they missed last season.
The Philadelphia Eagles were 14-3 last season and they went 4-2 in the NFC East. The Eagles started the season with eight straight victories and didn’t lose back to back games until weeks 16 and 17. Philadelphia dominated their first two playoff games, defeating the Giants by a score of 38-7 and the 49ers by a score of 31-7. The Eagles played the Kansas City Chiefs in the Super Bowl, but they lost 38-35 in a very good game. Jalens Hurts had a great season under center for the Eagles in 2022 and will look to start this year off strong as well. Philadelphia shook up their running back room in the offseason and will be led by D’Andre Swift and Rashaad Penny, while A.J. Brown, DeVonta Smith, and Dallas Goedert return in the passing game. Philadelphia had a very solid defense last year and I expect that unit to be just as strong this season. The Eagles went 0-2-1 in the preseason.
The New England Patriots went 8-9 last year and they were 3-3 in the AFC East. The Patriots started the season with a 1-3 record, but did win five of their next six games. New England was sitting at 6-4, but they ended up losing five of their last seven games to close out the year. The Patriots had a solid defense last season, but they did take a step back in their last seven games, allowing 22+ points in five of their last seven games. New England will have Mac Jones under center once again this season, after he threw for 2,997 yards, 14 touchdowns, and 11 interceptions in 2022. Rhamondre Stevenson is the lead running back, but he is questionable with an illness. The Patriots will have JuJu Smith-Schuster, DeVante Parker (Questionable), and Hunter Henry as Jones’ primary targets to open the year. New England went 1-2 in the preseason. The Patriots are a team that you don’t know what to expect from, but if they can get decent quarterback play from Jones, they could be competitive.
New England Patriots Team Facts
- The Patriots have won each of their last four Sunday games at Gillette Stadium.
- The favorites have covered the spread in nine of the Patriots' last 10 games.
- The underdogs have won the first quarter in each of the last two games between the Eagles and Patriots.
- The Patriots have won the first half in 15 of their last 18 September games at Gillette Stadium.
- The Patriots have scored the first touchdown in each of their last four Sunday games at Gillette Stadium.
Philadelphia Eagles Team Facts
- The Eagles has won each of their last six matches when playing with a rest disadvantage.
- The underdogs have covered the spread in each of the Eagles' last five Week 1 games.
- The underdogs have won the first quarter in three the Eagles' last four Week 1 games.
- The road team has won the first half in each of the Eagles' last six Week 1 games.
- The Eagles have scored the first touchdown in each of their last four games as favorites.
New England Patriots Player Prop Facts
- Hunter Henry has scored a touchdown in each of his five previous appearances against NFC East opponents.
- Mac Jones has thrown two touchdowns in each of his three previous appearances with the Patriots as underdogs against NFC opponents.
- JuJu Smith-Schuster has recorded 52+ receiving yards in each of his last five Week 1 appearances.
- Mac Jones has recorded 229+ passing yards in each of his three previous appearances with the Patriots as underdogs against NFC opponents.
- Mac Jones has recorded 21+ completions in eight of his last nine appearances with the Patriots as underdogs.
- Matthew Judon ranked T4th in the NFL in Sacks (15.5) last season
Philadelphia Eagles Player Prop Facts
- Jalen Hurts has scored at least one touchdown in each of the Eagles' last four Sunday games as road favorites.
- Jalen Hurts has thrown two or more touchdowns in three of the Eagles' last four regular season games against AFC opponents.
- Jalen Hurts has recorded 21+ completions in five of his last six road appearances.
- Jalen Hurts has recorded 243+ passing yards in each of the Eagles' last four September road games.
- DeVonta Smith has recorded 64+ receiving yards in each of the Eagles' last six regular season games.
- Jalen Hurts has recorded 44+ rushing yards in 10 of his last 11 Sunday appearances with the Eagles as road favorites.
- Haason Reddick ranked T2nd in the NFL in Sacks (16.0) last season
- The Patriots ranked 32nd in the NFL in average yards per punt (42.3) last season
- The Patriots were one of only two teams in the NFL to rank top 5 for both interceptions and sacks last season
- The Eagles ranked 1st in the NFL in sacks (70.0) last season
- The Eagles ranked 1st in the NFC East for points scored per game last season (28.1)
The Eagles come into this game after a very good season in 2022, but they will be looking to get the taste of that Super Bowl loss out of their mouth here. New England has the benefit of playing at home and they are honoring Tom Brady before the game, but the Eagles are the more talented team on both sides of the ball. I do think Philadelphia gets the win in this game, but I am taking the under here. Both defenses should be good once again this year and I think the Patriots are going to try and really slow things down. Take the under here.