Cowboys vs Giants Prediction - NFL Picks 9/10/23
New York Giants (0-0) vs Dallas Cowboys (0-0)
Game Info: Sunday, September 10, 2023 at 8:20 pm (MetLife Stadium)
Betting Odds: New York Giants +3.5 -- Over/Under: 45.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: NBC Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Dallas Cowboys will play the New York Giants in Week 1 of the NFL regular season on Sunday Night Football at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Dallas had a very good season in 2022, while the Giants also won a playoff game. Can both teams continue that success in 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys went 12-5 last season and they were 4-2 against the NFC East. Dallas started the season with a 4-1 record and they never looked back. The Cowboys did lose two of their last four regular season games, where they allowed 13, 26, 34, and 40 points. Dallas defeated Tampa Bay by a score of 31-24 in the Wild Card round, but lost to San Francisco by a score of 19-12 in the Divisional Round. Dak Prescott will be under center once again for the Cowboys, after throwing for 2,860 yards, 23 touchdowns, and 15 interceptions in 2022. Tony Pollard is finally the featured back, now that Elliott is gone, and CeeDee Lamb, Brandin Cooks, and Michael Gallup are the top three receivers. Dallas had a solid season last year, but it wasn’t good enough for most Cowboys fans. There is a lot of pressure on Prescott and company to deliver this year.
The New York Giants were 9-7-1 last year and they were 1-4-1 in the NFC East. The Giants started the season red hot with a record of 6-1, but they had some issues down the stretch and lost six of their last ten games, plus had a tie. New York still managed to make the playoffs, where they defeated Minnesota by a score of 31-24 on the road in the Wild Card round. The Giants lost to Philadelphia by a score of 38-7 in the Divisional Round. New York will have Daniel Jones at quarterback, after throwing for 3,205 yards, 15 touchdowns, and five interceptions, while also rushing for 708 yards and seven scores. Saquon Barkley should be one of the best running backs in the NFL once again, while the top three receivers are Isaiah Hodgins, Darius Slayton, and Parris Campbell. Darren Waller will be at tight end, but he is questionable for this game. I don’t love the receiving corps for the Giants and their defense played very inconsistently last season, so I am interested to see how they look to start 2023.
New York Giants Team Facts
- The Giants have lost seven of their last eight season openers against NFC opponents.
- The Giants have failed to cover the spread in each of their last four Week 1 home games.
- The Giants have lost the first half in each of their last six season openers as underdogs.
- The Giants have lost the first quarter in seven of their last eight games against NFC East opponents.
- Each of the Giants' last six home openers against NFC opponents have gone UNDER the total points line.
Dallas Cowboys Team Facts
- The Cowboys have won 12 of their last 13 September games against NFC East opponents.
- The Cowboys have covered the spread in eight of their last nine September games against NFC East opponents.
- The Cowboys have scored the first touchdown in seven of their last eight Sunday games as favorites.
- The Cowboys have won the first half in eight of their last nine September games against NFC East opponents.
- The Cowboys have lost the first quarter in three of their last four games as favorites against NFC opponents.
New York Giants Player Prop Facts
- Saquon Barkley has scored a touchdown in six of his last seven regular season appearances with the Giants as underdogs against NFC opponents.
- Daniel Jones has recorded 21+ completions in four of his last five regular season appearances with the Giants as underdogs.
- Daniel Jones has recorded 39+ rushing yards in four of the Giants' last five September games against NFC opponents.
- Saquon Barkley has recorded 22+ receiving yards in six of his eight previous September home appearances.
- Saquon Barkley ranked 4th in the NFL in Rushing Yards (1312) last season
Dallas Cowboys Player Prop Facts
- Brandin Cooks has scored a touchdown in four of his last five appearances with his team as a favorite.
- Dak Prescott has recorded 25+ completions in each of his last three September road appearances against NFC opponents.
- Dak Prescott has thrown three or more touchdowns in each of his last three September appearances against NFC East opponents.
- Michael Gallup has recorded 45+ receiving yards in each of his last four September appearances with the Cowboys as favorites against NFC opponents.
- Dak Prescott has recorded 250+ passing yards in six of the Cowboys' last seven games as favorites against NFC opponents.
- Dak Prescott has recorded 16+ rushing yards in each of the Cowboys' last four road games against NFC opponents.
- DaRon Bland ranked T5th in the NFL in Interceptions (5) last season
- The Giants ranked T2nd in the NFL in fumbles recovered (13) last season
- The Giants ranked 4th in the NFL in rushing yards per game (148.2) last season
- The Cowboys ranked 2nd in the NFL in turnover differential (+10) last season
- The Cowboys ranked T3rd in the NFL in sacks (54.0) last season
Both of these teams had very solid seasons in 2022 and they both got a playoff win, but they had to watch their division rival, Philadelphia, go to the Super Bowl. The Cowboys should have another very good team, but can Prescott lead them deeper into the playoffs? New York will have the home field advantage, but I have some serious questions about their team. The Cowboys need to focus on stopping the run game, because I don’t think the New York passing offense is going to tear it up. I am going to take the Cowboys to get the job done on the road.