49ers vs Steelers Prediction - NFL Picks 9/10/23
Pittsburgh Steelers (0-0) vs San Francisco 49ers (0-0)
Game Info: Sunday, September 10, 2023 at 1:00 pm (Acrisure Stadium)
Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Steelers +2.5 -- Over/Under: 41.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: FOX Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The San Francisco 49ers and Pittsburgh Steelers face off on Sunday in a Week 1 NFL showdown at Acrisure Stadium.
Brock Purdy is Back
At this time last year, not many had even heard of Brock Purdy, but now he’s the starting quarterback of a San Francisco 49ers team that many believe can win the Super Bowl. Brock Purdy injured his UCL last season, and there were questions about if he could play this season. Not only is he healthy, he is ahead of two former first round picks on the depth chart. The good news for Purdy is that he has weapons all over the field. Out of the backfield is Christian McCaffrey, and he’s one of the best running backs in the league. Tight end George Kittle was a limited participant Wednesday and it looks like there is a chance that he could play in this game.
49ers Betting Trends
- The 49ers have won each of their last 11 games as favorites.
- The favorites have covered the spread in 10 of the 49ers' last 11 games.
- The 49ers have scored the first touchdown in six of their last seven road games against AFC opponents.
- The 49ers have lost the first quarter in each of their last two Sunday games as road favorites.
- The 49ers have won the first half in each of their last seven road games in September.
Can Tomlin Get the Steelers Back to the Top
Last year Steelers team had all kinds of issues, there is no other way to put it, but they still actually probably overperformed for where they should have been. This year Kenny Pickett is back under center and he showed some real flashes of being a really good NFL quarterback last season. In the last preseason game against the Atlanta Falcons, Pickett went 4-4 for 86 yards and the Steelers ended up winning 24-0. George Pickens also looks for a breakout year in hopes he will be considered one of the best wide receivers in the league. On defense, the Steelers lost Cameron Sutton but they hope Patrick Peterson who was brought in this season can fill that role. Cornerback Joey Porter Jr also looks like someone who can come in right away and help the team.
Steelers Betting Trends
- The Steelers have won each of their last four games as home underdogs against NFC opponents.
- The Steelers have covered the spread in each of their last four September games as underdogs against NFC opponents.
- The Steelers have won the first half in nine of their last 10 games against NFC West opponents.
- The Steelers have scored the first touchdown in eight of their last nine home games against NFC opponents.
- The Steelers have won the first quarter in each of their last three games as underdogs.
49ers vs Steelers Facts
- The Steelers ranked 31st in the NFL in kickoff return yards per game (30.0) last season
- The Steelers ranked 30th in the NFL in average punt return (5.9 yards) last season
- The 49ers ranked T1st in the NFL in interceptions (20) last season
- The 49ers ranked 1st in the NFL in turnover differential (+13) last season
Shane’s Free Pick
I think the 49ers have a very good season, but they are going to start the season with a loss. Pickett has looked good during training camp and preseason and I expect him to take a big step forward. I also think Purdy is going to have to knock some of the rust off in this game and he’s going to have some struggles. Purdy is going to turn the ball over a couple of times which is going to make it even easier for the Steelers. The Steelers are going to secure the victory here, but we will take the couple points. Back the Steelers against the spread.