Diamondbacks vs Phillies Prediction - MLB Picks 10/17/23
Philadelphia Phillies (95-73) vs Arizona Diamondbacks (89-78)
Game Info: Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 8:07 pm (Citizens Bank Park)
Aaron Nola (14-9) (4.27) vs Merrill Kelly (13-8) (3.28)
Betting Odds: Philadelphia Phillies -160 / Arizona Diamondbacks +147 --- Over/Under: 8 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: TBS Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Arizona Diamondbacks and Philadelphia Phillies face off on Tuesday in Game 2 of the NLDS at Citizens Bank Park. In Game 1 it was the Phillies that were able to secure the 5-3 victory.
Phillies Get Out to a Flying Start
From the first pitch of the game, the Phillies were out to a hot start in Game 1. In the first pitch the Phillies saw, Kyle Schwarber hit a home run, and they never looked back on the way to the victory. Bryce Harper has been an x-factor all postseason, and he had a big first game of this series. He finished with one home run, two hits, and two runs. Getting the start in this game for the Phillies will be Aaron Nola, who sits with a 2-0 record and an ERA of 1.42. In his last start against the Braves he went 5.2 innings giving up six hits and two runs.
Arizona Diamondbacks Team Facts
- The Diamondbacks have won nine of their last 10 games as underdogs against National League opponents.
- The Diamondbacks have covered the run line in 10 of their last 11 games against National League opponents.
- The Diamondbacks have led after 3 innings in three of their last four games as underdogs against National League opponents.
- The Diamondbacks have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last five games against NL East opponents.
- The Diamondbacks have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last five road games against NL East opponents.
Late Rally Not Enough for DBacks
The late rally wasn’t enough for the Diamondbacks on Monday, and that led to the loss. The Diamondbacks scored two runs in the 5th and another run in the 6th, but it wasn’t enough. Geraldo Perdomo hit a home run and drove in two RBIs. On the mound for the Diamondbacks will be Merrill Kelly who sits with a 1-0 record and an ERA of 0.00. Kelly is going to need to be lights out here.
Philadelphia Phillies Team Facts
- The Phillies have won 11 of their last 12 games at Citizens Bank Park.
- The Phillies have covered the run line each of their last eight games against teams that held a winning record.
- The Phillies have led after 5 innings in each of their last eight games against National League opponents that held a winning record.
- The Phillies have led after 7 innings in each of their last eight games against opponents that held a winning record.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Phillies' last seven games as favorites against NL West opponents.
- The Philadelphia Phillies are one of only 3 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both steals and batting average this season.
- The Philadelphia Phillies are one of only 3 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both steals and home runs this season.
- The Arizona Diamondbacks rank 1st in the league for triples this season (44).
- The Arizona Diamondbacks rank 2nd in the league for steals this season (166).
Shane’s Free Pick
This game is going to be lower scoring. Kelly and Nola have both been good during the playoffs, and it’s going to be no different here. I especially don’t trust the Diamondbacks bats here and that is going to be the difference here as this game is going to stay under the total. This is one of my favorite plays on the entire board for Tuesday. Back the under.