Padres vs White Sox Prediction - MLB Picks 10/1/23
Chicago White Sox (61-100) vs San Diego Padres (81-80)
Game Info: Sunday, October 1, 2023 at 3:10 pm (Guaranteed Rate Field)
Jose Urena (0-7) (7.45) vs Pedro Avila (2-2) (3.57)
Betting Odds: Chicago White Sox / San Diego Padres --- Over/Under: Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The San Diego Padres will play the Chicago White Sox in Game 3 of their series on Sunday afternoon at Guaranteed Rate Field in Chicago, Illinois. San Diego has won the first two games in this series by scores of 3-2 and 6-1.
The San Diego Padres are 81-80 this season and they have won 13 of their last 15 games. Prior to this series, San Diego won two out of three games against the Giants and two out of three against the Cardinals. The Padres played very inconsistently over most of the season, but they have absolutely dominated the last 15 games. The San Diego pitching staff has a 3.76 ERA, a 1.27 WHIP, and a .236 opponent batting average this year. The Padres offense has scored 750 runs with a .244 batting average and a .329 on base percentage. Juan Soto is batting .275 with 35 home runs and 109 RBI’s for the Padres. The projected starting pitcher for San Diego is Pedro Avila, who is 2-2 with a 3.57 ERA and a 1.43 WHIP over 45.1 innings pitched this season.
White Sox Preview
The Chicago White Sox are 61-100 this season and they have lost four of their last five games. Chicago came into this series after losing two out of three games to the Diamondbacks. The White Sox have scored three runs or fewer in four straight games. The Chicago pitching staff has a 4.90 ERA, a 1.42 WHIP, and a .250 opponent batting average. The White Sox offense has scored 640 runs with a .238 batting average and a .292 on base percentage this season. Andrew Vaughn is batting .258 with 21 home runs and 80 RBI’s for the White Sox. The projected starting pitcher for Chicago is Jose Urena, who is 0-7 with a 7.45 ERA and a 1.68 WHIP over 38.2 innings pitched this year.
Chicago White Sox Team Facts
- The White Sox have lost seven of their last eight home games against National League opponents that held a winning record.
- The White Sox have covered the run line in four of their last five day games against NL West opponents following a loss.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the White Sox's last three day games at Guaranteed Rate Field.
San Diego Padres Team Facts
- The Padres have lost each of their last six day games against AL Central opponents.
- The Padres have failed to cover the run line each of their last 11 day games against AL Central opponents that held a losing record.
- The Padres have led after 5 innings in each of their last five road games against American League opponents that held a losing record.
- The Padres have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last six day games against AL Central opponents.
Chicago White Sox Player Prop Facts
- Yoan Moncada has hit a home run in two of the White Sox's last three games as home underdogs.
- Andrew Vaughn has scored a run in five of the White Sox's last six day games against NL opponents that held a winning record.
- Jose Urena has recorded five or more strikeouts in three of his last four appearances with his team as a home underdog against NL opponents.
- Yoan Moncada has recorded at least one hit in 16 of his last 17 appearances at Guaranteed Rate Field.
- Yoan Moncada has recorded at least one total base in 16 of his last 17 appearances at Guaranteed Rate Field.
San Diego Padres Player Prop Facts
- Juan Soto has hit at least one home run in two of the Padres' last three day games.
- Xander Bogaerts has recorded two or more hits in each of the Padres' last four day games.
- Ha-Seong Kim has scored at least one run in 11 of his last 12 appearances in day games against teams that held a losing record.
- Juan Soto has recorded two or more total bases in each of his seven previous appearances against the White Sox after playing the previous day.
- Manny Machado has recorded at least one RBI in four of his last five appearances.
- Ha-Seong Kim ranks 7th in the league in Steals (38) this season.
- The Chicago White Sox rank 29th in the league for runs scored this season (640).
- The Chicago White Sox rank 29th in the league for RBI's this season (616).
- The San Diego Padres rank 3rd in the league for home runs allowed this season (174).
- The San Diego Padres are one of only 4 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both strikeouts and on-base percentage this season.
San Diego was one of the most disappointing teams in the MLB this season, but they are the hottest team in all of baseball right now. On the other side, Chicago is 39 games below .500 and is only 31-49 at home this year. San Diego is starting Pedro Avila, who has allowed nine earned runs in his last 15 innings of work. Chicago is starting Jose Urena, who has allowed 12 earned runs in four starts for Chicago (20.1 IP), but Chicago is 0-4 in those four starts. I like San Diego to finish the season with another win.