Marlins vs Pirates Prediction - MLB Picks 10/1/23
Pittsburgh Pirates (75-86) vs Miami Marlins (84-76)
Game Info: Sunday, October 1, 2023 at 3:05 pm (PNC Park)
TBD () () vs Braxton Garrett (9-7) (3.66)
Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates / Miami Marlins --- Over/Under: Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Miami Marlins will play the Pittsburgh Pirates in Game 3 of their series on Sunday afternoon at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Miami has won the first two games in this series by scores of 4-3 and 7-3.
The Miami Marlins are 84-76 this season and they have won five of their last six games. Miami was able to clinch a Wild Card berth with their win on Saturday, and they have played very good baseball down the stretch. The Marlins have allowed three runs or fewer in four of their last five games. The Miami pitching staff has a 4.22 ERA, a 1.29 WHIP, and a .246 opponent batting average this season. The Marlins offense has scored 668 runs with a .260 batting average and a .318 on base percentage. Jorge Soler is batting .250 with 36 home runs and 75 RBI’s for the Marlins. The projected starting pitcher for Miami is Braxton Garrett, who is 9-7 with a 3.66 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP over 159.2 innings pitched this year.
The Pittsburgh Pirates are 75-86 this season and they have lost five of their last six games. Prior to this series, Pittsburgh lost two out of three games to the Phillies. The Pirates have scored three runs or fewer in five of their last six games. The Pittsburgh pitching staff has a 4.63 ERA, a 1.39 WHIP, and a .252 opponent batting average. The Pirates offense has scored 689 runs with a .240 batting average and a .315 on base percentage this year. Bryan Reynolds is batting .263 with 24 home runs and 84 RBI’s for the Pirates. The projected starting pitcher for Pittsburgh has not been announced yet.
Pittsburgh Pirates Team Facts
- The Pirates have lost five of their last six games.
- The Pirates have covered the run line in five of their last six games against National League opponents following a loss.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Pirates' last four day games.
Miami Marlins Team Facts
- The Marlins have won each of their last eight Sunday games against teams that held a losing record.
- The Marlins have failed to cover the run line in five of their last six road games against National League opponents following a win.
- The Marlins have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last five Sunday road games.
- The Marlins have led after 7 innings in each of their last seven Sunday games against NL Central opponents that held a losing record.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Marlins' last eight Sunday day games against NL Central opponents.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates rank 26th in the league for walks allowed this season (595).
- The Pittsburgh Pirates rank 24th in the league for hits this season (1288).
- The Miami Marlins rank 26th in the league for runs scored this season (666).
- The Miami Marlins rank T5th in the league for hits this season (1416).
The Marlins were able to get the big win on Saturday and they clinched a playoff spot in the process. Miami is currently in the second Wild Card spot in the NL, but they could drop down to the third spot with a loss. The Marlins are starting Braxton Garrett, who has allowed one earned run or fewer in four of his last five starts. Miami has played very well recently and I like them to pick up another win here.