Padres vs White Sox Prediction - MLB Picks 9/30/23
Chicago White Sox (61-99) vs San Diego Padres (80-80)
Game Info: Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 7:10 pm (Guaranteed Rate Field)
Mike Clevinger (9-8) (3.40) vs Michael Wacha (13-4) (3.39)
Betting Odds: Chicago White Sox +130 / San Diego Padres -142 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The San Diego Padres and Chicago White Sox clash Saturday in game 2 of an MLB series at Guaranteed Rate Field. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
San Diego Padres Betting Preview
The Padres look to build on their 3-game winning streak. The Padres are 1 of 7 NL teams out of the playoff race. The Padres pitching staff is 4th in ERA (3.78), 12th in WHIP (1.27) and 2nd in quality starts (74). The Padres' offense is 14th in runs per game (4.65), 19th in batting average (.243) and 13th in homers (205). Xander Bogaerts leads the Padres with 168 hits and 58 RBI, while Juan Soto and Fernando Tatis Jr. have combined for 303 hits and 186 RBI. Michael Wacha gets the ball, and he is 13-4 with a 3.39 ERA and 117 strikeouts this season. Wacha is 1-0 with a 6.98 ERA and 22 strikeouts in his career against the White Sox.
San Diego Padres Team Facts
- The Padres have won seven of their last eight road games.
- The Padres have failed to cover the run line in eight of their last nine games as road favorites against AL Central opponents following a win.
- The Padres have led after 7 innings in each of their last nine games as road favorites.
- The Padres have led after 5 innings in each of their last six games as favorites against American League opponents.
Chicago White Sox Betting Preview
The White Sox need a win after losing 6 of their last 10 games. The White Sox have the third-worst record in the AL. The White Sox pitching staff is 26th in ERA (4.91), 25th in WHIP (1.41) and 20th in quality starts (50). The White Sox offense is 29th in runs per game (3.99), 26th in batting average (.239) and 20th in homers (170). Andrew Benintendi leads the White Sox with 147 hits and 45 RBI, while Andrew Vaughn and Luis Robert Jr. have combined for 288 hits and 160 RBI. Mike Clevinger gets the ball, and he is 9-8 with a 3.40 ERA and 108 strikeouts this season. This will be Clevinger’s first career game against the Padres.
Chicago White Sox Team Facts
- The White Sox have lost 10 of their last 11 home games against National League opponents.
- The White Sox have failed to cover the run line in 19 of their last 22 home games against National League opponents after playing the previous day.
- The White Sox have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last four night games against NL West opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the White Sox's last three games as underdogs against NL West opponents.
- The White Sox have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last four night games against NL West opponents.
- The Chicago White Sox rank 30th in the league for on-base percentage this season (.292).
- The Chicago White Sox rank 30th in the league for walks this season (373).
- The San Diego Padres rank 1st in the league for walks this season (643).
- The San Diego Padres rank 2nd in the league for runs allowed this season (646).
It's going to be interesting to see if the Padres bring the same fight now that they're out of playoff contention, but they had to know it was a long shot anyway, and they're still playing their best ball of the season. Michael Wacha has been a CY Young caliber pitcher this season with a 3.39 ERA and 1.19 WHIP. The White Sox have been a mess all year and while Mike Clevinger has been solid in his own right, you can't trust the team overall. Give me the hot Padres and the reasonable price.