Marlins vs Pirates Prediction - MLB Picks 9/30/23
Pittsburgh Pirates (75-85) vs Miami Marlins (83-76)
Game Info: Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 6:35 pm (PNC Park)
() () vs Edward Cabrera (7-7) (4.24)
Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates / Miami Marlins --- Over/Under: Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Miami Marlins and Pittsburgh Pirates clash Saturday in game 2 of an MLB series at PNC Park. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
Miami Marlins Betting Preview
The Marlins look for a win after winning 6 of their last 10 games. The Marlins are currently in the third NL wild card spot. The Marlins pitching staff is 16th in ERA (4.24), 16th in WHIP (1.29) and 17th in quality starts (51). The Marlins' offense is 26th in runs per game (4.13), 4th in batting average (.259) and 23rd in homers (165). Luis Arraez leads the Marlins with 203 hits and 69 RBI, while Bryan De La Cruz and Jorge Soler have combined for 269 hits and 151 RBI. JT Chargois gets the ball, and he is 1-0 with a 3.76 ERA and 33 strikeouts this season. Chargois is 0-0 with a 0.00 ERA and 2 strikeouts in his career against the Pirates.
Miami Marlins Team Facts
- The Marlins have lost four of their last five games as road favorites against NL Central opponents following a road win.
- The Marlins have failed to cover the run line in each of their last 10 games as road favorites against NL Central opponents.
- The Marlins have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last five games as favorites against NL Central opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Marlins' last four games at PNC Park.
- The Marlins have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last three games as favorites against National League opponents.
Pittsburgh Pirates Betting Preview
The Pirates look for a win after splitting their last 10 games. The Pirates are 1 of 7 NL teams bounced from the playoff race. The Pirates pitching staff is 22nd in ERA (4.61), 22nd in WHIP (1.39) and 15th in quality starts (53). The Pirates' offense is 22nd in runs per game (4.29), 24th in batting average (.239) and 27th in homers (159). Bryan Reynolds leads the Pirates with 150 hits and 83 RBI, while Ke'Bryan Hayes and Andrew McCutchen have combined for 233 hits and 106 RBI. Quinn Priester gets the ball, and he is 3-2 with a 7.86 ERA and 33 strikeouts this season. This will be Priester’s first career game against the Marlins.
Pittsburgh Pirates Team Facts
- The Pirates have won seven of their last eight night games against the Marlins following a loss.
- The Pirates have covered the run line each of their last eight night games against teams that held a winning record.
- The Pirates have led after 5 innings in three of their last four games as home underdogs.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the last four games between the Marlins and Pirates at PNC Park.
- The Pirates have led after 3 innings in three of their last four games as home underdogs.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates rank T26th in the league for home runs this season (159).
- The Pittsburgh Pirates rank 5th in the league for triples this season (30).
- The Miami Marlins rank 27th in the league for runs scored this season (659).
- The Miami Marlins rank 4th in the league for batting average this season (.259).
This isn't an ideal pitching matchup, and I'm not running to the window to back either JT Chargois or Quinn Priester. However, the Marlins are the better team and can clinch a playoff spot with a victory here. The Pirates can obviously play a spoiler role, but they're also a team that falls apart late, and they constantly lose despite scoring first in a lot of their games. This is a winnable series for the Marlins, and another victory puts them in the playoffs for the third time in franchise history in terms of a full season. Give me the fish.