Guardians vs Tigers Prediction - MLB Picks 9/30/23
Detroit Tigers (76-84) vs Cleveland Guardians (76-84)
Game Info: Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 1:10 pm (Comerica Park)
() () vs Triston McKenzie (0-2) (6.17)
Betting Odds: Detroit Tigers / Cleveland Guardians --- Over/Under: Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Cleveland Guardians and Detroit Tigers clash Saturday in game 2 of an MLB series at Comerica Park. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
Cleveland Guardians Betting Preview
The Guardians need a win after losing 6 of their last 10 games. The Guardians are 1 of 8 AL teams bounced from the playoff race. The Guardians pitching staff is 8th in ERA (3.95), 18th in WHIP (1.30) and 13th in quality starts (57). The Guardians' offense is 27th in runs per game (4.12), 13th in batting average (.251) and 30th in homers (123). Steven Kwan leads the Guardians with 171 hits and 54 RBI, while Jose Ramirez and Andres Gimenez have combined for 309 hits and 142 RBI. Triston McKenzie gets the ball, and he is 0-2 with a 6.17 ERA and 15 strikeouts this season. McKenzie is 3-1 with a 0.93 ERA and 49 strikeouts in his career against the Tigers.
Cleveland Guardians Team Facts
- The Guardians have won each of their last nine Saturday day games against AL Central opponents that held a losing record.
- The Guardians have covered the run line each of their last nine Saturday day games against AL Central opponents that held a losing record.
- The Guardians have led after 3 innings in each of their last three games.
- The Guardians have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last six Saturday games.
- The Guardians have led after 5 innings in each of their last seven Saturday day games against AL Central opponents that held a losing record.
Detroit Tigers Betting Preview
The Tigers look for a win after winning 6 of their last 10 games. The Tigers are 1 of 8 AL teams bounced from the playoff race. The Tigers pitching staff is 17th in ERA (4.29), 10th in WHIP (1.25) and 26th in quality starts (43). The Tigers' offense is 28th in runs per game (4.05), 28th in batting average (.236) and 24th in homers (164). Spencer Torkelson leads the Tigers with 140 hits and 94 RBI, while Matt Vierling and Kerry Carpenter have combined for 236 hits and 104 RBI. The Tigers didn’t list a starting pitcher at the time this article was published.
Detroit Tigers Team Facts
- The Tigers have won each of their last nine day games against AL Central opponents.
- The Tigers have covered the run line in seven of their last eight games against AL Central opponents following a home loss.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the last three day games between the Guardians and Tigers.
- The Tigers have won the first inning in each of their last three day games against the Guardians.
- The Tigers have led after 3 innings in each of their last three day games against the Guardians.
- The Detroit Tigers rank 29th in the league for slugging percentage this season (.381).
- The Detroit Tigers rank 28th in the league for runs scored this season (648).
- The Cleveland Guardians rank 30th in the league for home runs this season (123).
- The Cleveland Guardians rank 1st in the league for strikeouts against this season (1127).
It's hard to get behind either of these teams that have nothing to play for with just a couple of games left. Both teams have guys looking forward to vacation. With that said, it's even tougher to back the Tigers given they haven't listed a starting pitcher. Triston McKenzie has just 11.2 innings under his belt this season and hasn't done well in the small sample size, but we know what he's capable most nights, and he's owned the Tigers throughout his career. It's Guardians or pass for me.