Astros vs Diamondbacks Prediction - MLB Picks 9/29/23
Arizona Diamondbacks (84-75) vs Houston Astros (87-72)
Game Info: Friday, September 29, 2023 at 9:40 pm (Chase Field)
Zac Gallen (17-8) (3.49) vs J.P. France (11-6) (3.83)
Betting Odds: Arizona Diamondbacks -137 / Houston Astros +116 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Houston Astros and Arizona Diamondbacks clash Friday in game 1 of an MLB series at Chase Field. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
Houston Astros Betting Preview
The Astros need a win after losing 6 of their last 10 games. The Astros are 2 games back in the AL West. The Astros pitching staff is 10th in ERA (4.00), 15th in WHIP (1.28) and 8th in quality starts (68). The Astros offense is 5th in runs per game (5.13), 3rd in batting average (.259) and 7th in homers (220). Kyle Tucker leads the Astros with 159 hits and 111 RBI, while Alex Bregman and Jeremy Pena have combined for 308 hits and 147 RBI. J.P. France gets the ball, and he is 11-6 with a 3.83 ERA and 101 strikeouts this season. This will be France’s first career game against the Diamondbacks.
Houston Astros Team Facts
- The Astros have won 11 of their last 12 games as road underdogs.
- The Astros have failed to cover the run line in each of their last six road games against NL West opponents following a road win.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Astros' last five games as underdogs against NL West opponents.
- The Astros have led after 7 innings in nine of their last 10 games as road underdogs.
- The Astros have led after 5 innings in three of their last four games as road underdogs.
Arizona Diamondbacks Betting Preview
The Diamondbacks look for a win after winning 7 of their last 10 games. The Diamondbacks are currently in the second NL wild card spot. The Diamondbacks pitching staff is 20th in ERA (4.51), 19th in WHIP (1.33) and 14th in quality starts (55). The Diamondbacks' offense is 13th in runs per game (4.68), 13th in batting average (.251) and 22nd in homers (166). Corbin Carroll leads the Diamondbacks with 160 hits and 76 RBI, while Ketel Marte and Christian Walker have combined for 306 hits and 185 RBI. Zac Gallen gets the ball, and he is 17-8 with a 3.49 ERA and 213 strikeouts this season. Gallen is 1-0 with a 3.24 ERA and 25 strikeouts in his career against the Astros.
Arizona Diamondbacks Team Facts
- The Diamondbacks have won each of their last six games at Chase Field.
- The Diamondbacks have covered the run line in each of their last nine games against the Astros following a road loss.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the last four games between the Astros and Diamondbacks at Chase Field.
- The Diamondbacks have trailed after 5 innings in three of their last four games as home favorites against AL West opponents.
- The Diamondbacks have led after 3 innings in each of their last three home games.
- The Arizona Diamondbacks rank 1st in the league for triples this season (44).
- The Arizona Diamondbacks rank 2nd in the league for steals this season (161).
- The Houston Astros rank 3rd in the league for hits this season (1418).
- The Houston Astros rank 3rd in the league for batting average this season (.259).
The Diamondbacks are getting the benefit of the doubt because they're at home, and they have one of the top pitchers on the mound in Zac Gallen. However, we're getting plus money with the Astros, a championship experienced team that's fighting for their playoff lives. J.P. France has also been good this season in his own right, with a 3.83 ERA and 1.36 WHIP. There's value with the plus money and the Astros, as I just assume they'll put their best foot forward and give themselves a chance to win to stay in the playoff chase.