Pirates vs Phillies Prediction - MLB Picks 9/27/23
Philadelphia Phillies (88-69) vs Pittsburgh Pirates (74-83)
Game Info: Wednesday, September 27, 2023 at 6:40 pm (Citizens Bank Park)
Ranger Suarez (4-6) (3.89) vs Johan Oviedo (9-14) (4.12)
Betting Odds: Philadelphia Phillies -130 / Pittsburgh Pirates +110 --- Over/Under: 8 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Pittsburgh Pirates will play the Philadelphia Phillies in Game 2 of their series on Wednesday night at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Phillies won the first game in this series by a score of 3-2 on Tuesday night.
The Pittsburgh Pirates are 74-83 this season and they have won four of their last six games. The Pirates came into this series after winning two out of three against the Reds and the Cubs. Pittsburgh has played very competitively over the last couple of months, but they have lost two games in a row. The Pittsburgh pitching staff has a 4.62 ERA, a 1.39 WHIP, and a .252 opponent batting average this year. The Pirates offense has scored 674 runs with a .238 batting average and a .314 on base percentage. Bryan Reynolds is batting .267 with 24 home runs and 83 RBI’s for the Pirates. The projected starting pitcher for Pittsburgh is Johan Oviedo, who is 9-14 with a 4.12 ERA and a 1.36 WHIP over 172.2 innings pitched this season.
The Philadelphia Phillies are 88-69 this season and they have won six games in a row. The Phillies clinched a playoff berth with their win on Tuesday, but will that impact their performance in this game? The Philadelphia pitching staff has a 4.00 ERA, a 1.24 WHIP, and a .240 opponent batting average. The Phillies offense has scored 771 runs with a .256 batting average and a .328 on base percentage this season. Nick Castellanos is batting .274 with 29 home runs and 106 RBI’s for the Phillies. The projected starting pitcher for Philadelphia is Ranger Suarez, who is 4-6 with a 3.89 ERA and a 1.38 WHIP over 120.1 innings pitched this year.
Philadelphia Phillies Team Facts
- The Phillies have won each of their last 10 games at Citizens Bank Park against National League opponents that held a losing record.
- The Phillies have failed to cover the run line in seven of their last eight games after playing the previous day following an extra innings win.
- The Phillies have led after 7 innings in each of their last 13 games at Citizens Bank Park against opponents that held a losing record.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Phillies' last three games.
Pittsburgh Pirates Team Facts
- The Pirates have won eight of their last nine games as road underdogs against National League opponents following a road loss.
- The Pirates have covered the run line in each of their last 10 road games against National League opponents following a road loss.
- The Pirates have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last five Wednesday night games against NL East opponents that held a winning record.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Pirates' last five games as road underdogs against NL East opponents.
- The Pirates have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last six night games at Citizens Bank Park against National League opponents.
Philadelphia Phillies Player Prop Facts
- Kyle Schwarber has hit a home run in eight of the Phillies' last 16 games as favorites against NL Central opponents.
- Trea Turner has recorded two or more hits in four of his last five Wednesday appearances against NL teams that held a losing record.
- Trea Turner has recorded two or more total bases in six of his last seven appearances against the Pirates after playing the previous day.
- Ranger Suarez has recorded six or more strikeouts in four of his last five appearances at Citizens Bank Park.
- Trea Turner has scored at least one run in nine of the Phillies' last 10 home games against opponents that held a losing record.
Pittsburgh Pirates Player Prop Facts
- Bryan Reynolds has hit a home run in each of the Pirates' last two games as underdogs against the Phillies.
- Bryan Reynolds has recorded at least one RBI in 10 of the Pirates' last 12 night games.
- Bryan Reynolds has scored a run in each of the Pirates' last five games as underdogs against the Phillies.
- Jack Suwinski has recorded at least one total base in 13 of his last 14 appearances against NL opponents.
- Bryan Reynolds has recorded at least one hit in each of the Pirates' last 10 Wednesday night games against NL opponents that held a winning record.
- The Philadelphia Phillies rank 5th in the league for slugging percentage this season (.438).
- The Philadelphia Phillies are one of only 5 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both strikeouts and walks allowed this season.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates rank 26th in the league for batting average this season (.238).
- The Pittsburgh Pirates rank 26th in the league for walks allowed this season (583).
The Phillies come into this game on a nice winning streak and they were able to clinch a playoff berth on Tuesday, but I think that is going to negatively impact them in this game. Philadelphia celebrated on the field after the game and in the locker room and I think they could have their guard down in this one. The Pirates are starting Johan Oviedo, who has allowed one earned run in his last two starts (11IP). Take Pittsburgh to get the win in this game.