Tigers vs Athletics Prediction - MLB Picks 9/23/23
Oakland Athletics (47-107) vs Detroit Tigers (72-82)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 4:07 pm (Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum)
Joe Boyle (0-0) (0.00) vs Joey Wentz (3-11) (6.63)
Betting Odds: Oakland Athletics / Detroit Tigers --- Over/Under: Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Detroit Tigers will play the Oakland Athletics in Game 3 of their series on Saturday afternoon at the Oakland Coliseum in Oakland, California. Detroit won Game 1 in this series by a score of 7-3 on Thursday, but Oakland answered with an 8-2 win on Friday.
The Detroit Tigers are 72-82 this season and they have lost three of their last five games. Prior to this series, Detroit lost two out of three games to the Dodgers. The Tigers have scored 4+ runs in six of their last nine games. The Detroit pitching staff has a 4.36 ERA, a 1.25 WHIP, and a .242 opponent batting average this year. The Tigers offense has scored 619 runs with a .234 batting average and a .301 on base percentage. Javier Baez is batting .220 with nine home runs and 58 RBI’s for the Tigers. The projected starting pitcher for Detroit is Joey Wentz, who is 3-11 with a 6.63 ERA and a 1.68 WHIP over 97.2 innings pitched this season.
The Oakland Athletics are 47-107 this season and they have lost eight of their last nine games. Oakland was able to snap their eight game losing streak with their win on Friday night. The Oakland pitching staff has a 5.53 ERA, a 1.52 WHIP, and a .267 opponent batting average. The Athletics offense has scored 561 runs with a .224 batting average and a .299 on base percentage this season. Brent Rooker is batting .241 with 29 home runs and 65 RBI’s for the Athletics. The projected starting pitcher for Oakland is Joe Boyle, who is 0-0 with a 0.00 ERA and a 1.00 WHIP over three innings pitched this year.
Oakland Athletics Team Facts
- The Athletics have won each of their last nine home games against the Tigers following a home win.
- The Athletics have failed to cover the run line in seven of their last eight games at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum.
- The Athletics have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last four day games at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum against AL Central opponents.
- The Athletics have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last eight home games.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Athletics' last four games against AL Central opponents.
Detroit Tigers Team Facts
- The Tigers have won each of their last seven day games against American League opponents that held a losing record.
- The Tigers have covered the run line in each of their last six road games following a road loss.
- The Tigers have led after 5 innings in each of their last seven games against American League opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Tigers' last three day games at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum.
- The Tigers have led after 3 innings in each of their last six Saturday road games.
- The Oakland Athletics rank 30th in the league for RBI's this season (540).
- The Oakland Athletics rank 30th in the league for batting average this season (.224).
- The Detroit Tigers rank 29th in the league for slugging percentage this season (.377).
- The Detroit Tigers rank 28th in the league for batting average this season (.234).
Oakland came into Friday’s game really struggling, but they were able to get a win and they will look to make it two in a row in this matchup. Detroit has played decent baseball this season, but their offense hasn’t been able to score runs consistently. Detroit is starting Joey Wentz, who has allowed six earned runs in his last 8.1 innings of work. Oakland is starting Joe Boyle, who allowed one hit and no runs in three innings of work in his first start. I am going to continue to fade the Athletics, as it has been a very profitable thing to do this year. Take the Tigers here.