Angels vs Twins Prediction - MLB Picks 9/23/23
Minnesota Twins (82-72) vs Los Angeles Angels (69-85)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 2:10 pm (Target Field)
Sonny Gray (8-7) (2.84) vs Kenny Rosenberg (1-2) (5.48)
Betting Odds: Minnesota Twins -205 / Los Angeles Angels +170 --- Over/Under: 7.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Los Angeles Angels will play the Minnesota Twins in Game 2 of their series on Saturday afternoon at Target Field in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Minnesota won the first game in this series by a score of 8-6 on Friday night, as the Angels continue to free fall towards the end of the season.
The Los Angeles Angels are 69-85 this season and they have lost eight of their last nine games. Prior to this series, the Angels lost two out of three games against the Rays on the road. The Angels have allowed 5+ runs in six of their last seven games. The Los Angeles pitching staff has a 4.68 ERA, a 1.42 WHIP, and a .253 opponent batting average this year. The Angels offense has scored 710 runs with a .245 batting average and a .318 on base percentage. Brandon Drury is batting .257 with 23 home runs and 75 RBI’s for the Angels. The projected starting pitcher for Los Angeles is Kenny Rosenberg, who is 1-2 with a 5.48 ERA and a 1.78 WHIP over 23 innings pitched this season.
The Minnesota Twins are 82-72 this season and they have won three games in a row. Minnesota came into this series after winning two out of three games against the Reds on the road. With the win on Friday, the Twins clinched the AL Central. The Minnesota pitching staff has a 3.90 ERA, a 1.20 WHIP, and a .236 opponent batting average. The Twins offense has scored 728 runs with a .242 batting average and a .323 on base percentage this season. The projected starting pitcher for Minnesota is Sonny Gray, who is 8-7 with a 2.84 ERA and a 1.17 WHIP over 174 innings pitched this year.
Minnesota Twins Team Facts
- The Twins have lost each of their last four day games against American League opponents following a win.
- The Twins have failed to cover the run line in each of their last six home games against the Angels following a home win.
- The Twins have led after 3 innings in each of their last three games against the Angels.
- The Twins have led after 7 innings in each of their last five Saturday day games against American League opponents that held a losing record.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Twins' last five games as home favorites against American League opponents.
Los Angeles Angels Team Facts
- The Angels have lost eight of their last nine games.
- The Angels have covered the run line in eight of their last nine games against the Twins following a loss.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Angels' last three games against AL Central opponents.
- The Angels have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last four games against AL Central opponents.
Minnesota Twins Player Prop Facts
- Michael A. Taylor has hit at least one home run in six of his last 13 appearances with the Twins as home favorites.
- Michael A. Taylor has recorded at least one RBI in four of his last five home appearances against AL West opponents.
- Jorge Polanco has recorded two or more total bases in six of his last seven appearances against AL opponents at Target Field.
- Max Kepler has scored at least one run in eight of his last nine appearances with the Twins as favorites.
- Sonny Gray has recorded six or more strikeouts in each of his three previous appearances at Target Field against AL West opponents that held a losing record.
- Jorge Polanco has recorded at least one hit in each of his last eight Saturday appearances against teams that held a losing record.
- Willi Castro ranks T9th in the league in Steals (32) this season.
Los Angeles Angels Player Prop Facts
- Jared Walsh has hit a home run in three of the Angels' last four games as underdogs against AL Central opponents.
- Jared Walsh has recorded at least one RBI in four of his last five appearances with the Angels as underdogs against AL Central opponents.
- Randal Grichuk has scored at least one run in five of his last six appearances against AL Central opponents.
- Brandon Drury has recorded two or more total bases in 11 of his last 12 appearances against AL opponents that held a winning record.
- Randal Grichuk has recorded at least one hit in each of his seven previous appearances with the Angels as underdogs against AL Central opponents.
- The Minnesota Twins rank 4th in the league for home runs this season (219).
- The Minnesota Twins rank 4th in the league for walks allowed this season (426).
- The Los Angeles Angels rank 28th in the league for strikeouts against this season (1451).
- The Los Angeles Angels rank 28th in the league for walks allowed this season (604).
The Twins were able to clinch the AL Central with their win on Friday night, while LA continues to really struggle to finish the season competitively. Minnesota is 44-32 at home this year, while the Angels are 34-45 on the road. The Twins are starting Sonny Gray, who has allowed one earned run or fewer in four of his last five games. The Angels are starting Kenny Rosenberg, who has allowed 5, 1, and 3 earned runs over his last three outings. Just about everything in this game points to the Twins winning, but I am going to take a chance on the Angels at a great price. I think Minnesota may come out flat in this game, after celebrating the AL Central title last night. Take the Angels here.