Tigers vs Athletics Prediction - MLB Picks 9/22/23
Oakland Athletics (46-107) vs Detroit Tigers (72-81)
Game Info: Friday, September 22, 2023 at 9:40 pm (Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum)
Ken Waldichuk (3-8) (5.61) vs Sawyer Gipson-Long (1-0) (2.70)
Betting Odds: Oakland Athletics +115 / Detroit Tigers -125 --- Over/Under: 8 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Oakland Athletics and Detroit Tigers do battle Friday night in game 2 of an MLB series at Oakland Coliseum. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
Detroit Tigers Betting Preview
The Tigers look for a win after winning 6 of their last 8 games. The Tigers are 9 games back in the AL Central. The Tigers pitching staff is 19th in ERA (4.35), 9th in WHIP (1.25) and 27th in quality starts (41). The Tigers' offense is 29th in runs per game (4.01), 28th in batting average (.235) and 25th in homers (155). Spencer Torkelson leads the Tigers with 132 hits and 86 RBI, while Matt Vierling and Kerry Carpenter have combined for 229 hits and 102 RBI. Sawyer Gipson-Long gets the ball, and he is 1-0 with a 2.70 ERA and 16 strikeouts this season. This will be Gipson-Long’s first career game against the Athletics.
Detroit Tigers Team Facts
- The Tigers have won each of their last 11 games as road favorites.
- The favorites have covered the run line in eight of the Tigers' last nine games at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum.
- The Tigers have led after 3 innings in each of their last six games against opponents that held a losing record.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Tigers' last five Friday games at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum.
- The Tigers have led after 5 innings in each of their last six games against American League opponents that held a losing record.
Oakland Athletics Betting Preview
The Athletics look for a win to snap an 8-game losing streak. The Athletics have the worst record in baseball. The Athletics pitching staff is 29th in ERA (5.58), 29th in WHIP (1.53) and 30th in quality starts (28). The Athletics offense is 30th in runs per game (3.62), 30th in batting average (.224) and 22nd in homers (162). Esteury Ruiz leads the Athletics with 106 hits and 42 RBI, while Brent Rooker and Ryan Noda have combined for 190 hits and 116 RBI. Ken Waldichuk gets the ball, and he is 3-8 with a 5.40 ERA and 122 strikeouts this season. This will be Waldichuk’s second career game against the Tigers.
Oakland Athletics Team Facts
- The Athletics have lost each of their last eight games.
- The Athletics have failed to cover the run line in each of their last eight games.
- The Athletics have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last five games against American League opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the last three games between the Tigers and Athletics.
- The Athletics have lost the first inning in each of their last three games against AL Central opponents.
- The Oakland Athletics rank 30th in the league for runs scored this season (553).
- The Oakland Athletics rank 30th in the league for hits this season (1122).
- The Detroit Tigers rank 29th in the league for runs scored this season (617).
- The Detroit Tigers rank 29th in the league for slugging percentage this season (.377).
The Tigers are putting together a solid week, and now they throw out Sawyer Gipson-Long who has been solid through 10 innings. The Athletics have been the worst team in baseball all season, they don't make bettors money, and 8 straight losses suggests everybody on that side is ready for the season to end. Ken Waldichuk hasn't been good, with a 5.40 ERA and 1.58 WHIP. This cheap price is rather surprising. Give me the A's at home.