White Sox vs Nationals Prediction - MLB Picks 9/20/23
Washington Nationals (67-85) vs Chicago White Sox (58-94)
Game Info: Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 1:05 pm (Nationals Park)
Josiah Gray (7-12) (4.07) vs Jesse Scholtens (1-9) (4.77)
Betting Odds: Washington Nationals -135 / Chicago White Sox +114 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Chicago White Sox will play the Washington Nationals in Game 3 of their series on Wednesday afternoon at Nationals Park in Washington, DC. The White Sox won Game 1 in this series by a score of 6-1, but Washington bounced back with a 4-3 win on Tuesday night.
White Sox Preview
The Chicago White Sox are 58-94 this season and they have lost six of their last eight games. Chicago has really struggled over the last couple of months and they are in danger of losing another series. The White Sox have scored three runs or fewer in five of their last seven games. The Chicago pitching staff has a 4.91 ERA, a 1.42 WHIP, and a .250 opponent batting average this season. The White Sox offense has scored 621 runs with a .240 batting average and a .294 on base percentage. Andrew Benintendi is batting .266 with five home runs and 45 RBI’s for the White Sox. The projected starting pitcher for Chicago is Jesse Scholtens, who is 1-9 with a 4.77 ERA and a 1.47 WHIP over 83 innings pitched this year.
The Washington Nationals are 67-85 this season and they have won two of their last three games. Washington has also played poorly over the last couple of months and they have lost six of their last eight games. The Nationals have scored three runs or fewer in four of their last six games. The Washington pitching staff has a 4.97 ERA, a 1.46 WHIP, and a .271 opponent batting average. The Nationals offense has scored 646 runs with a .252 batting average and a .312 on base percentage this year. Lane Thomas is batting .271 with 25 home runs and 80 RBI’s for the Nationals. The projected starting pitcher for Washington is Josiah Gray, who is 7-12 with a 4.07 ERA and a 1.47 WHIP over 148 innings pitched this season.
Washington Nationals Team Facts
- The Nationals have won each of their last 10 games as home favorites against American League opponents following a home win.
- The Nationals have covered the run line in 10 of their last 11 day games against AL Central opponents.
- The Nationals have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last six games at Nationals Park against opponents that held a losing record.
- The Nationals have led after 7 innings in each of their last nine games as favorites against AL Central opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Nationals' last four home games against American League opponents.
Chicago White Sox Team Facts
- The White Sox have won each of their last six day games against National League opponents following a road loss.
- The White Sox have failed to cover the run line each of their last eight Wednesday games against NL East opponents that held a losing record.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the White Sox's last six games as road underdogs.
- The White Sox have led after 7 innings in each of their last four day games against NL East opponents.
Chicago White Sox Player Prop Facts
- Luis Robert ranks 7th amongst qualified players for Slugging Percentage (.543) this season.
- The Washington Nationals rank 2nd in the league for strikeouts against this season (1080).
- The Washington Nationals rank 28th in the league for walks this season (390).
- The Chicago White Sox rank 29th in the league for walks allowed this season (611).
- The Chicago White Sox rank 28th in the league for runs scored this season (621).
Chicago comes into this game looking for their first series win in their last 11 series, but they are 28-49 on the road this year. Washington isn’t much better at home, as they are only 32-44 at Nationals Park. Chicago is starting Jesse Scholtens, who has allowed 13 earned runs in his last three starts (12.2 IP). Washington is starting Josiah Gray, who has allowed three earned runs or fewer in three of his last four starts. Both of these teams have been really bad in recent games and I think this one could go either way, so I am going to take the White Sox with the plus money.