White Sox vs Nationals Prediction - MLB Picks 9/19/23
Washington Nationals (66-85) vs Chicago White Sox (58-93)
Game Info: Tuesday, September 19, 2023 at 7:05 pm (Nationals Park)
Jackson Rutledge (0-1) (17.18) vs Jose Urena (0-6) (8.48)
Betting Odds: Washington Nationals -115 / Chicago White Sox -105 --- Over/Under: 9.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Chicago White Sox will play the Washington Nationals in Game 2 of their series on Tuesday night at Nationals Park in Washington, DC. Chicago won the first game in this series by a score of 6-1 on Monday night.
White Sox Preview
The Chicago White Sox are 58-93 this season and they have won two of their last three games. Prior to this series, Chicago lost three out of four games to the Twins at home. The White Sox have played very poorly over the last few weeks and they have not won a series in their last 11. The Chicago pitching staff has a 4.91 ERA, a 1.42 WHIP, and a .250 opponent batting average this season. The White Sox offense has scored 618 runs with a .240 batting average and a .294 on base percentage. Luis Robert is batting .261 with 36 home runs and 78 RBI’s for the White Sox. The projected starting pitcher for Chicago is Jose Urena, who is 0-6 with an 8.48 ERA and a 1.88 WHIP over 28.2 innings pitched this year.
The Washington Nationals are 66-85 this season and they have lost six of their last seven games. Washington came into this series after losing two out of three games to the Brewers in Milwaukee. The Nationals have scored three runs or fewer in five of their last seven games. The Washington pitching staff has a 4.98 ERA, a 1.46 WHIP, and a .271 opponent batting average. The Nationals offense has scored 642 runs with a .252 batting average and a .312 on base percentage this year. CJ Abrams is batting .244 with 18 home runs and 57 RBI’s for the Nationals. The projected starting pitcher for Washington is Jackson Rutledge, who is 0-1 with a 17.18 ERA and a 3.00 WHIP over 3.2 innings pitched this season.
Washington Nationals Team Facts
- The favorites have won each of the last eight games between the White Sox and Nationals at Nationals Park.
- The Nationals have covered the run line in each of their last six games as home favorites against AL Central opponents.
- The Nationals have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last five night games against AL Central opponents.
- The Nationals have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last eight Tuesday home games.
Chicago White Sox Team Facts
- The White Sox have lost each of their last six night games against National League opponents following a win.
- The White Sox have covered the run line in nine of their last 10 road games against NL East opponents following a road win.
- The White Sox have led after 3 innings in each of their last three Tuesday games as road underdogs.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the White Sox's last five games as road underdogs.
Washington Nationals Player Prop Facts
- Dominic Smith has hit a home run in each of the Nationals' last two night games against opponents that held a losing record.
- Keibert Ruiz has recorded an RBI in four of his last five appearances with the Nationals as favorites against AL opponents.
- Keibert Ruiz has scored at least one run in seven of the Nationals' last eight games against AL opponents at Nationals Park.
- CJ Abrams has recorded two or more total bases in four of his five previous appearances against AL Central opponents that held a losing record.
- Lane Thomas has recorded at least one hit in each of the Nationals' last eight home games against AL opponents that held a losing record.
Chicago White Sox Player Prop Facts
- Yoan Moncada has hit a home run in each of the White Sox's last two games as road underdogs against the Nationals.
- Eloy Jimenez has recorded two hits in each of his last four appearances against NL opponents that held a losing record.
- Andrew Vaughn has recorded at least one RBI in four of his five previous appearances against NL East opponents that held a losing record.
- Yoan Moncada has scored a run in seven of his last eight appearances against opponents that held a losing record.
- Jose Urena has recorded three or more strikeouts in eight of his last 10 appearances with his team as an underdog.
- Elvis Andrus has recorded at least one total base in each of his last six appearances at Nationals Park.
- Luis Robert ranks 8th amongst qualified players for Slugging Percentage (.534) this season.
- The Washington Nationals rank 2nd in the league for strikeouts against this season (1075).
- The Washington Nationals rank 28th in the league for walks this season (388).
- The Chicago White Sox rank 29th in the league for walks allowed this season (609).
- The Chicago White Sox rank T27th in the league for runs scored this season (618).
Both of these teams have been pretty bad over the last couple of months, but Chicago was able to get the win on Monday night. The White Sox are only 28-48 on the road this year and they are starting Jose Urena, who has allowed seven earned runs over 10.1 innings for Chicago in two starts. Washington is starting Jackson Rutledge, who has allowed 10 hits and seven earned runs in 3.2 innings. This is quite the pitching matchup in this game and we should see a ton of runs, but I am going to side with Urena and the White Sox here.