Red Sox vs Rangers Prediction - MLB Picks 9/19/23
Texas Rangers (82-68) vs Boston Red Sox (75-76)
Game Info: Tuesday, September 19, 2023 at 8:05 pm (Globe Life Field)
Nathan Eovaldi (11-4) (2.96) vs Tanner Houck (5-9) (4.94)
Betting Odds: Texas Rangers -135 / Boston Red Sox +115 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Boston Red Sox and Texas Rangers clash Tuesday in game 2 of an MLB series at Globe Life Field. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
Boston Red Sox Betting Preview
The Red Sox need a win after losing 6 of their last 8 games. The Red Sox are 7.5 games back in the AL wild card race. The Red Sox pitching staff is 21st in ERA (4.53), 20th in WHIP (1.35) and 25th in quality starts (43). The Red Sox offense is 9th in runs per game (4.90), 3rd in batting average (.261) and 17th in homers (176). Rafael Devers leads the Red Sox with 152 hits and 98 RBI, while Justin Turner and Masataka Yoshida have combined for 290 hits and 162 RBI. Tanner Houck gets the ball, and he is 5-9 with a 4.94 ERA and 87 strikeouts this season. This will be Houck’s second career game against the Rangers.
Boston Red Sox Team Facts
- The underdogs have won five of the Red Sox's last six games at Globe Life Field.
- The Red Sox have failed to cover the run line in each of their last six night games following a win.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Red Sox's last eight night games against AL West opponents.
- The Red Sox have won the first inning in three of their last four games as underdogs against the Rangers.
- The Red Sox have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last six Tuesday games against American League opponents that held a winning record.
Texas Rangers Betting Preview
The Rangers look for a win to snap a 4-game losing streak. The Rangers are 1.5 games back in the AL West. The Rangers pitching staff is 17th in ERA (4.32), 13th in WHIP (1.27) and 10th in quality starts (62). The Rangers' offense is 3rd in runs per game (5.47), 2nd in batting average (.265) and 6th in homers (210). Marcus Semien leads the Rangers with 173 hits and 91 RBI, while Nathaniel Lowe and Corey Seager have combined for 303 hits and 171 RBI. Nathan Eovaldi gets the ball, and he is 11-4 with a 2.96 ERA and 118 strikeouts this season. Eovaldi is 3-0 with a 4.78 ERA and 20 strikeouts in his career against the Red Sox.
Texas Rangers Team Facts
- The Rangers have lost each of their last nine games against AL East opponents that held a losing record.
- The Rangers have failed to cover the run line in each of their last 11 home games following a loss.
- The Rangers have led after 3 innings in each of their last three home games against AL East opponents.
- The Rangers have led after 7 innings in each of their last seven games against AL East opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the last seven games between the Red Sox and Rangers.
- The Texas Rangers rank 2nd in the league for hits this season (1380).
- The Texas Rangers rank 2nd in the league for doubles this season (313).
- The Boston Red Sox rank 1st in the league for doubles this season (325).
- The Boston Red Sox rank 3rd in the league for hits this season (1361).
The Rangers continue to do this thing where they pile up the losses and act like they're not interested in winning a division. There's no reason for this team with all this talent to continue to come up so small. With that said, the Red Sox have little to play for at this stage and Tanner Houckand his near 5 ERA on the road isn't appealing. Nathan Eovaldi has been incredible this season with a 2.96 ERA and 1.09 WHIP, and he's going up against a team he just spent 5 years with, so there should be added motivation. Bottom line is, the Rangers can't continue to blow games like this if they're going to catch the Astros. Give me the home team.