Red Sox vs Rangers Prediction - MLB Picks 9/18/23
Texas Rangers (82-67) vs Boston Red Sox (74-76)
Game Info: Monday, September 18, 2023 at 8:05 pm (Globe Life Field)
Jordan Montgomery (9-11) (3.47) vs Kutter Crawford (6-7) (4.26)
Betting Odds: Texas Rangers -161 / Boston Red Sox +136 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Boston Red Sox and Texas Rangers clash Monday in game 1 of an MLB series at Globe Life Field. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
Boston Red Sox Betting Preview
The Red Sox need a win to snap a rough 4-game losing streak. The Red Sox are 8.5 games out of the AL wild card race. The Red Sox pitching staff is 21st in ERA (4.54), 20th in WHIP (1.35) and 25th in quality starts (42). The Red Sox offense is 8th in runs per game (4.91), 3rd in batting average (.261) and 16th in homers (176). Rafael Devers leads the Red Sox with 150 hits and 98 RBI, while Justin Turner and Masataka Yoshida have combined for 290 hits and 162 RBI. Kutter Crawford gets the ball, and he is 6-7 with a 4.26 ERA and 114 strikeouts this season. Crawford is 0-0 with a 4.50 ERA and 4 strikeouts in his career against the Rangers.
Boston Red Sox Team Facts
- The Red Sox have lost each of their last seven night games against teams that held a winning record.
- The Red Sox have failed to cover the run line each of their last seven night games against teams that held a winning record.
- The Red Sox have won the first inning in each of their last three games as underdogs against the Rangers.
- The Red Sox have led after 3 innings in each of their last seven Monday games against the Rangers.
- The Red Sox have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last five night games against American League opponents that held a winning record.
Texas Rangers Betting Preview
The Rangers look for a win to snap a 3-game losing streak. The Rangers are 1.5 games back in the AL West. The Rangers pitching staff is 17th in ERA (4.32), 13th in WHIP (1.27) and 10th in quality starts (61). The Rangers' offense is 3rd in runs per game (5.49), 2nd in batting average (.266) and 6th in homers (209). Marcus Semien leads the Rangers with 171 hits and 89 RBI, while Nathaniel Lowe and Corey Seager have combined for 302 hits and 171 RBI. Jordan Montgomery gets the ball, and he is 9-11 with a 3.47 ERA and 147 strikeouts this season. Montgomery is 1-2 with a 3.95 ERA and 62 strikeouts in his career against the Red Sox.
Texas Rangers Team Facts
- The Rangers have lost each of their last six games as favorites against AL East opponents following a road loss.
- The Rangers have failed to cover the run line in each of their last 10 home games following a loss.
- The Rangers have led after 5 innings in each of their last six games against AL East opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the last six games between the Red Sox and Rangers.
- The Rangers have led after 7 innings in each of their last six games against AL East opponents.
- The Texas Rangers rank 2nd in the league for hits this season (1375).
- The Texas Rangers rank 2nd in the league for doubles this season (313).
- The Boston Red Sox rank 1st in the league for doubles this season (323).
- The Boston Red Sox rank 3rd in the league for hits this season (1353).
Two teams on losing streaks, and it's hard to get behind either side. However, the Red Sox have nothing to play for, as they're all but out of the playoff race. The Rangers are at home, have more to play for, and you can make a strong argument Jordan Montgomery has been a better pitcher than Kutter Crawford this season. Crawford is still a young pitcher who has issues with control, and he's allowed 6 runs in his last 8.1 innings. Montgomery is coming off 7 scoreless innings in his last start. It's time for the Rangers to prove they're playoff worthy. Give me the Rangers for a bounce back effort.