Nationals vs Pirates Prediction - MLB Picks 9/13/23
Pittsburgh Pirates (67-78) vs Washington Nationals (65-80)
Game Info: Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 6:35 pm (PNC Park)
Colin Selby (2-0) (8.64) vs Jackson Rutledge (0-0) (0.00)
Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates -125 / Washington Nationals +115 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Pittsburgh Pirates will host the Washington Nationals for game three of their four-game set this Wednesday from PNC Park. Pittsburgh responded in game two with a four-run victory, 5-1.
Nationals Preview & Projected Starter
Washington moved to 65-80 after losing to Pittsburgh. The Nats have now traded their last seven games, and for the moment, they’ll look to continue that trend on Wednesday. The Washington offense is scoring 3.48 runs per game, while batting .262, with a .319 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.96 ERA, with a 1.50 WHIP.
Jackson Rutledge (0-0, 0.00 ERA) will get the ball for Washington. This contest will mark the 6’8 pitcher’s MLB debut, after being drafted in the first round of the 2019 MLB Draft.
Nats Player Trends & Props
• Lane Thomas is hitless over his last three contests, so he could be due soon, and he still leads the Nats in hits (164), with splits of .278/24/77.
• Joey Meneses had multiple hits in the game two loss, and he’s batting .278, with 78 RBI.
• CJ Abrams homered twice in the game one win, and after totaling multiple bases in three of his last four games, he’s posting a line of .251/18/57.
• Keibert Ruiz brings an eight-game hit streak into this matchup, and he’s tallied 17 homers and 59 RBI for the season.
Pirates Preview & Projected Starter
Pittsburgh comes in at 67-78 after defeating Washington. The Pirates avoided a three-game skid with a solid two-way effort last night, and they’ll look to take control of the series Wednesday. The Pittsburgh offense is scoring 4.11 runs per game, while batting .235, with a .320 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.50 ERA, with a 1.38 WHIP.
Colin Shelby (2-1, 8.64 ERA, 22 Ks) is set to open for Pittsburgh. The rookie pitcher was roughed up in Atlanta last time out, allowing a season-worse four runs thru just ⅓ of an inning. Shelby’s been better than that this season, but he has allowed multiple runs in three of his last four appearances.
Pirates Player Trends & Props
• Bryan Reynolds has produced a run in four straight games, and he’s first on the team in hits (138), with splits of .270/20/71.
• Ke’Bryan Hayes has collected a hit in eight of the last nine games, and he’s batting .267, with thirteen homers and 55 RBI for the season.
• Jack Suwinski has produced a run in five of the last seven contests, and he leads the club in home runs (24), with 63 RBI.
Corey’s Free Pick
The anticipated debut of Jackson Rutledge should be interesting, as he’ll face a manageable lineup here with Pittsburgh. In return, the Pirates will have a small reason to play up today, and both sides could be in for production after a pair of one-sided contests. I like Washington’s unwanted trend of trading games to continue here, but the Over brings more security for the matchup.