Nationals vs Pirates Prediction - MLB Picks 9/12/23
Pittsburgh Pirates (66-78) vs Washington Nationals (65-79)
Game Info: Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 6:35 pm (PNC Park)
Bailey Falter (1-8) (4.65) vs Joan Adon (2-1) (5.56)
Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates / Washington Nationals --- Over/Under: Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Washington Nationals will play the Pittsburgh Pirates in Game 2 of their series on Tuesday night at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Washington won the first game in this series by a score of 6-2 on Monday night, and they have played decent baseball over their last six games.
The Washington Nationals are 65-79 this season and they have alternated wins and losses over their last six games. Prior to this series, Washington lost two out of three games against the Dodgers at home. The Nationals have scored 5+ runs in four of their last six games. The Washington pitching staff has a 4.97 ERA, a 1.45 WHIP, and a .270 opponent batting average this season. The Nationals offense has scored 624 runs with a .256 batting average and a .316 on base percentage. CJ Abrams is batting .252 with 18 home runs and 57 RBI’s for the Nationals. The projected starting pitcher for Washington is Joan Adon, who is 2-1 with a 5.56 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP over 34 innings pitched this year.
The Pittsburgh Pirates are 66-78 this season and they have lost three of their last four games. Pittsburgh came into this series after losing two out of three games to Atlanta on the road. The Pirates have allowed 5+ runs in six of their last nine games. The Pittsburgh pitching staff has a 4.53 ERA, a 1.38 WHIP, and a .252 opponent batting average. The Pirates offense has scored 603 runs with a .236 batting average and a .312 on base percentage this year. Bryan Reynolds is batting .270 with 20 home runs and 71 RBI’s for the Pirates. The projected starting pitcher for Pittsburgh is Bailey Falter, who is 1-8 with a 4.65 ERA and a 1.34 WHIP over 71.2 innings pitched this season.
Pittsburgh Pirates Team Facts
- The Pirates have won each of their last eight games as favorites against NL East opponents following a home loss.
- The Pirates have covered the run line eight of their last nine night games against teams that held a losing record.
- The Pirates have trailed after 5 innings in four of their last six games as home favorites against National League opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Pirates' last seven night games against National League opponents.
Washington Nationals Team Facts
- The Nationals have won each of their last four games as road underdogs against NL Central opponents.
- The Nationals have failed to cover the run line in seven of their last eight games against the Pirates following a road win.
- The Nationals have led after 3 innings in each of their last three games as road underdogs against NL Central opponents.
- The Nationals have led after 5 innings in three of their last four games as underdogs.
- The Nationals have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last nine Tuesday night games against National League opponents that held a losing record.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 27th in the league for home runs this season (140).
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 4th in the league for triples this season (28).
- The Washington Nationals ranks 29th in the league for home runs this season (133).
- The Washington Nationals ranks 29th in the league for strikeouts this season (1087).
Washington was able to get a nice win in the first game of this series and they will look to make it two in a row in this matchup. Neither team has been very good this season, but the Nationals have played their best baseball on the road. Washington is starting Joan Adon, who has allowed two earned runs or fewer in three of his last five starts, but did allow 11 earned runs in the other two starts. Pittsburgh is starting Bailey Falter, who has allowed one earned run or fewer in four of his last five outings, but two of those outings were only 3.2 innings of work each. I think we could see a high scoring game here, but I am going to side with the Pirates at home.