Nationals vs Pirates Prediction - MLB Picks 9/11/23
Pittsburgh Pirates (66-77) vs Washington Nationals (64-79)
Game Info: Monday, September 11, 2023 at 6:35 pm (PNC Park)
Andre Jackson (1-2) (4.34) vs Patrick Corbin (9-13) (5.23)
Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates / Washington Nationals --- Over/Under: Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Washington Nationals will play the Pittsburgh Pirates in Game 1 of their series on Monday night at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Pirates are coming off of a series loss, but they have played better baseball over the last couple of weeks, while Washington has lost eight of their last ten.
The Washington Nationals are 64-79 this season and they have lost 10 of their last 13 games. Washington is coming off of a series loss to the Dodgers, where they lost two out of three games. The Nationals have allowed 6+ runs in nine of their last ten games. The Washington pitching staff has a 4.99 ERA, a 1.46 WHIP, and a .270 opponent batting average this season. The Nationals offense has scored 618 runs with a .256 batting average and a .316 on base percentage. Lane Thomas is batting .282 with 24 home runs and 77 RBI’s for the Nationals. The projected starting pitcher for Washington is Patrick Corbin, who is 9-13 with a 5.23 ERA and a 1.51 WHIP over 158.1 innings pitched this year.
The Pittsburgh Pirates are 66-77 this season and they have alternated wins and losses over their last eight games. Pittsburgh is coming off of a series loss to the Braves, where they lost two out of three games. The Pirates have won eight of their last twelve games. The Pittsburgh pitching staff has a 4.52 ERA, a 1.38 WHIP, and a .252 opponent batting average. The Pirates offense has scored 601 runs with a .236 batting average and a .312 on base percentage this year. Bryan Reynolds is batting .270 with 20 home runs and 70 RBI’s for the Pirates. The projected starting pitcher for Pittsburgh is Andre Jackson, who is 1-2 with a 4.34 ERA and a 1.10 WHIP over 29 innings pitched this season.
Pittsburgh Pirates Team Facts
- The Pirates have won each of their last eight night games against teams that held a losing record.
- The Pirates have covered the run line each of their last eight night games against teams that held a losing record.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Pirates' last six night games against National League opponents.
Washington Nationals Team Facts
- The Nationals have won five of their last six games as underdogs against NL Central opponents.
- The Nationals have failed to cover the run line seven of their last eight night games against NL Central opponents that held a losing record.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Nationals' last 10 games as underdogs.
- The Nationals have led after 3 innings in five of their last seven games as road underdogs against NL Central opponents.
- The Nationals have led after 5 innings in four of their last six games as road underdogs against NL Central opponents.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 4th in the league for triples this season (28).
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 27th in the league for batting average this season (.236).
- The Washington Nationals ranks 29th in the league for home runs this season (130).
- The Washington Nationals ranks 29th in the league for strikeouts this season (1077).
Washington limps into this series really struggling over the last two weeks, while Pittsburgh has been pretty solid in their last 12 games. The Pirates are 34-37 at home, so they have played their best baseball at PNC Park. Pittsburgh is starting Andre Jackson, who has allowed two earned runs or fewer in three of his last four outings. The Nationals are starting Patrick Corbin, who has allowed 14 earned runs in his last two starts (9 IP). I like the Pirates to get the win at home in this matchup.