Diamondbacks vs Cubs Prediction - MLB Picks 9/9/23
Chicago Cubs (76-66) vs Arizona Diamondbacks (74-68)
Game Info: Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 2:20 pm (Wrigley Field)
Justin Steele (16-3) (2.90) vs Merrill Kelly (11-6) (3.34)
Betting Odds: Chicago Cubs -140 / Arizona Diamondbacks +129 --- Over/Under: 7.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: Marquee Sports Network Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Arizona Diamondbacks and Chicago Cubs face off on Saturday in an MLB showdown at Wrigley Field. The Diamondbacks have won the first two games of this series.
Can Arizona Hold onto a Playoff Spot?
This Arizona team has been tested all season and the last couple of weeks of the season is going to be no different. The Diamondbacks are battling with the Cubs and three other teams for the last two wild card spots. This is a crucial series for the Diamondbacks. In the first game of this series the Diamondbacks scored six runs and they need to find offensive success again in this game. The Diamondbacks are averaging 4.7 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.8 runs per game. On the mound for the Diamondbacks will be Merrill Kelly who sits with an 11-6 record and an ERA of 3.32.
Arizona Betting Trends
- The Diamondbacks have won four of their last five games as underdogs against the Cubs.
- The Diamondbacks have covered the run line in seven of their last eight day games against National League opponents.
- The Diamondbacks have led after 5 innings in four of their last six games as underdogs against National League opponents.
- The Diamondbacks have led after 3 innings in three of their last four games as road underdogs against NL Central opponents.
- The Diamondbacks have won the first inning in four of their last six games as underdogs against NL Central opponents.
Cubs Need Steele to be Good
On the mound for the Cubs will be Justin Steele and he sits with a 10-3 record and an ERA of 2.55. Over Steele’s last two starts he has gone 14 innings and given up eight hits and zero runs. If Steele is good here, the Cubs should have a great shot. The Cubs are averaging 5.09 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.04 runs per game. The pitching is ranked 14th but Steele has been one of the real strengths.
Cubs Betting Trends
- The Cubs have won eight of their last nine day games following a loss.
- The underdogs have covered the run line in each of the last nine games between the Diamondbacks and Cubs.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Cubs' last three games as home favorites against NL West opponents.
Diamondbacks vs Cubs Facts
- The Chicago Cubs ranks 6th in the league for walks this season (493).
- The Chicago Cubs ranks 7th in the league for steals this season (118).
- The Arizona Diamondbacks ranks 5th in the league for strikeouts against this season (1108).
- The Arizona Diamondbacks ranks 10th in the league for doubles this season (247).
Shane’s Free Pick
Steele has been dominant his last two starts and he’s going to be dominant again in this game. Arizona’s offense is going to have issues getting any type of offense going here. Kelly has also been strong heading into this game, and he’s going to lockdown again in this game. Both of these offenses are going to really struggle to get the bats going and there won’t be more than four or five total runs scored. Back the under.