White Sox vs Tigers Prediction - MLB Picks 9/8/23
Detroit Tigers (64-76) vs Chicago White Sox (54-86)
Game Info: Friday, September 8, 2023 at 6:40 pm (Comerica Park)
Reese Olson (3-6) (4.65) vs Mike Clevinger (6-7) (3.90)
Betting Odds: Detroit Tigers -125 / Chicago White Sox +105 --- Over/Under: 8 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Chicago White Sox will play the Detroit Tigers in Game 1 of their series on Friday night at Comerica Park in Detroit, Michigan. Detroit is coming off of a series loss to the Yankees, while Chicago has played really poorly over the last two weeks.
White Sox Preview
The Chicago White Sox are 54-86 this season and they have lost seven of their last nine games. Chicago is coming off of a series loss to the Royals, where they lost two out of three games. The White Sox were swept by Detroit in Chicago just last week and they were outscored by a total of 17-4. The Chicago pitching staff has a 4.92 ERA, a 1.42 WHIP, and a .250 opponent batting average this year. The White Sox offense has scored 575 runs with a .241 batting average and a .295 on base percentage. Luis Robert is batting .270 with 35 home runs and 71 RBI’s for the White Sox. The projected starting pitcher for Chicago is Mike Clevinger, who is 6-7 with a 3.90 ERA and a 1.30 WHIP over 101.2 innings pitched this season.
The Detroit Tigers are 64-76 this season and they have won five of their last seven games. Detroit is coming off of a series loss to the Yankees, where they lost two out of three games. The Tigers were able to avoid the sweep on Wednesday, scoring 10 runs in the big road victory. The Detroit pitching staff has a 4.44 ERA, a 1.27 WHIP, and a .246 opponent batting average. The Tigers offense has scored 558 runs with a .236 batting average and a .302 on base percentage this season. Spencer Torkelson is batting .233 with 27 home runs and 76 RBI’s for the Tigers. The projected starting pitcher for Detroit is Reese Olson, who is 3-6 with a 4.65 ERA and a 1.21 WHIP over 79.1 innings pitched this year.
Detroit Tigers Team Facts
- The Tigers have lost five of their last six games as home favorites against the White Sox following a win.
- The Tigers have failed to cover the run line in each of their last six games as home favorites against the White Sox following a win.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Tigers' last five games.
- The Tigers have led after 7 innings in each of their last eight games against AL Central opponents.
- The Tigers have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last three Friday games as home favorites.
Chicago White Sox Team Facts
- The White Sox have lost each of their last seven night games following a win.
- The White Sox have failed to cover the run line in each of their last five night games against AL Central opponents following a road win.
- The White Sox have led after 7 innings in three of their last four games as road underdogs against American League opponents.
- The White Sox have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last six Friday night games against opponents that held a losing record.
Chicago White Sox Player Prop Facts
- Luis Robert ranks 7th amongst qualified players for Slugging Percentage (.557) this season.
- The Detroit Tigers ranks 28th in the league for slugging percentage this season (.379).
- The Detroit Tigers ranks 27th in the league for batting average this season (.236).
- The Chicago White Sox ranks 29th in the league for walks allowed this season (571).
- The Chicago White Sox ranks 27th in the league for home runs allowed this season (195).
The Tigers come into this series after a series loss, but they have played decently well over the last week. Chicago limps into this series and they have not played well over the last couple of months. The White Sox are 26-46 on the road this year and they are starting Mike Clevinger, who has pitched well this year, but did allow eight earned runs to the Tigers in his last start. Detroit is starting Reese Olson, who has allowed one earned run in his last 11.1 innings of work, including seven shut out innings against the White Sox last week. Take Detroit at home here.