Padres vs Astros Prediction - MLB Picks 9/8/23
Houston Astros (80-61) vs San Diego Padres (66-75)
Game Info: Friday, September 8, 2023 at 8:10 pm (Minute Maid Park)
Hunter Brown (10-10) (4.53) vs Blake Snell (12-9) (2.50)
Betting Odds: Houston Astros -137 / San Diego Padres +116 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The San Diego Padres and Houston Astros face off on Friday in an MLB showdown at Minute Maid Park.
Astros Need to be Careful
The Astros could win the American League West or they could miss the playoffs and neither would be that shocking with how tight the American League is right now. On Wednesday the Astros offense was strong scoring 12 runs on the way to the victory. Jose Abreu had quite the game finishing three hits, two home runs and seven runs driven in. On the mound for the Astros will be Hunter Brown who sits with a 10-10 record and an ERA of 4.53.
Astros Betting Trends
- The underdogs have won each of the Astros' last six games.
- The Astros have failed to cover the run line in each of their last nine Friday home games against National League opponents.
- The Astros have led after 3 innings in each of their last four home games against National League opponents.
- The Astros have trailed after 7 innings in eight of their last 10 games as home favorites.
- The Astros have led after 5 innings in each of their last four games against the Padres at Minute Maid Park.
Padres Continue to Disappoint
The Padres have been quite the disappointment this season and that has continued to happen the last couple of games. On Wednesday the Padres scored only one run and they ended up losing by four. The Padres are averaging 4.52 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.06 runs per game. The offense is ranked 17th while the pitching is ranked 3rd. On the mound for the Padres is Blake Snell and he sits with a 12-9 record and an ERA of 2.50. As bad as the Padres have been, Snell has been one of the only bright spots.
Padres Betting Trends
- The Padres have lost seven of their last eight road games.
- The Padres have covered the run line in six of their last seven games following a home loss.
- The Padres have led after 3 innings in each of their last three games against the Astros.
- The Padres have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last four games at Minute Maid Park against opponents that held a winning record.
- The Padres have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last four games at Minute Maid Park.
Astros vs Padres Facts
- The Houston Astros ranks 4th in the league for hits this season (1265).
- The Houston Astros ranks 4th in the league for batting average this season (.260).
- The San Diego Padres ranks 4th in the league for ERA this season (3.81).
- The San Diego Padres ranks T4th in the league for hits allowed this season (1119).
Shane’s Free Pick
Snell has been so dominant heading into this game and even against a good offense, and I expect he’s going to lockdown here. The Astros are going to struggle to score even three or four runs total and that is going to be the difference here as the Padres are going to get the job done. Back the Padres on the money line to cash.