Brewers vs Yankees Prediction - MLB Picks 9/8/23
New York Yankees (70-70) vs Milwaukee Brewers (77-62)
Game Info: Friday, September 8, 2023 at 7:05 pm (Yankee Stadium)
Luis Severino (4-8) (6.75) vs Colin Rea (5-5) (5.07)
Betting Odds: New York Yankees -125 / Milwaukee Brewers +105 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Milwaukee Brewers will play the New York Yankees in Game 1 of their series on Friday night at Yankee Stadium in New York. The Yankees are playing some of their best baseball of the year, while the Brewers have had some struggles recently.
The Milwaukee Brewers are 77-62 this season and they have lost five of their last eight games. Milwaukee is coming off of a series loss to the Pirates, where they lost two out of three games on the road. The Brewers are currently leading the NL Central, but the Cubs are closing the gap quickly. The Milwaukee pitching staff has a 3.96 ERA, a 1.21 WHIP, and a .231 opponent batting average this year. The Brewers offense has scored 611 runs with a .235 batting average and a .315 on base percentage. Christian Yelich is batting .274 with 17 home runs and 70 RBI’s for the Brewers. The projected starting pitcher for Milwaukee is Colin Rea, who is 5-5 with a 5.07 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP over 104.2 innings pitched this season.
The New York Yankees are 70-70 this season and they have won eight of their last ten games. New York is coming off of a series win against Detroit, where they won two out of three games at home. The Yankees have scored 5+ runs in four of their last six games. The New York pitching staff has a 3.97 ERA, a 1.23 WHIP, and a .232 opponent batting average. The Yankees offense has scored 594 runs with a .228 batting average and a .304 on base percentage this season. Gleyber Torres is batting .275 with 25 home runs and 62 RBI’s for the Yankees. The projected starting pitcher for New York is Luis Severino, who is 4-8 with a 6.75 ERA and a 1.66 WHIP over 85.1 innings pitched this year.
New York Yankees Team Facts
- The Yankees have won nine of their last 10 night games after playing the previous day.
- The Yankees have failed to cover the run line in each of their last 15 Friday games at Yankee Stadium.
- The Yankees have led after 7 innings in each of their last five games at Yankee Stadium against National League opponents that held a winning record.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Yankees' last five games at Yankee Stadium.
Milwaukee Brewers Team Facts
- The Brewers have won each of their last five games as underdogs against American League opponents.
- The Brewers have covered the run line in each of their last 12 Friday night games as road underdogs against American League opponents.
- The Brewers have won the first inning in each of their last three games against AL East opponents.
- The Brewers have led after 3 innings in seven of their last eight games as road underdogs against American League opponents.
- The Brewers have led after 7 innings in each of their last five road games against American League opponents.
- The New York Yankees ranks 29th in the league for batting average this season (.228).
- The New York Yankees ranks 2nd in the league for hits allowed this season (1086).
- The Milwaukee Brewers ranks 2nd in the league for opponent batting average this season (.231).
- The Milwaukee Brewers ranks 28th in the league for hits this season (1084).
The Yankees have really played well recently and they are above .500 at home, while Milwaukee has struggled over their last eight games. The Brewers need to get it together if they want to hold off the Cubs in the NL Central, but they will face a confident New York team here. The Yankees are starting Luis Severino, who has allowed four earned runs in his last 17.2 innings of work. The Brewers are starting Colin Rea, who has allowed 13 earned runs in his last three starts (13.1 IP). Severino has been decent over his last few starts and I am going to take the hot team here. Take the Yankees to win.