Guardians vs Angels Prediction - MLB Picks 9/7/23
Los Angeles Angels (64-76) vs Cleveland Guardians (67-73)
Game Info: Thursday, September 7, 2023 at 9:38 pm (Angel Stadium of Anaheim)
Griffin Canning (7-5) (4.30) vs Cal Quantrill (2-6) (6.16)
Betting Odds: Los Angeles Angels / Cleveland Guardians --- Over/Under: Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Cleveland Guardians will play the Los Angeles Angels in Game 1 of their series on Thursday night at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, California. Cleveland was able to avoid being swept with a win on Wednesday, while Los Angeles was just swept at home.
The Cleveland Guardians are 67-73 this season and they have lost three of their last four games. Cleveland is coming off of a series loss to the Twins, where they lost two out of three games and were out scored by a total of 29-11. The Guardians are six games back in the AL Central, as they were unable to take advantage of that series with Minnesota. The Cleveland pitching staff has a 3.96 ERA, a 1.29 WHIP, and a .246 opponent batting average this season. The Guardians offense has scored 568 runs with a .248 batting average and a .310 on base percentage. Jose Ramirez is batting .270 with 21 home runs and 72 RBI’s for the Guardians. The projected starting pitcher for Cleveland is Cal Quantrill, who is 2-6 with a 6.16 ERA and a 1.51 WHIP over 73 innings pitched this year.
The Los Angeles Angels are 64-76 this season and they have lost six games in a row. Los Angeles is coming off of a series loss to the Orioles, where they lost all three games. The Angels have fallen apart since the trade deadline and they are 1-9 in their last ten games. The Los Angeles pitching staff has a 4.74 ERA, a 1.42 WHIP, and a .253 opponent batting average. The Angels offense has scored 657 runs with a .249 batting average and a .323 on base percentage this year. Luis Rengifo is batting .264 with 16 home runs and 51 RBI’s for the Angels. The projected starting pitcher for Los Angeles is Griffin Canning, who is 7-5 with a 4.30 ERA and a 1.19 WHIP over 104.2 innings pitched this season.
Los Angeles Angels Team Facts
- The Angels have lost each of their last seven games at Angel Stadium of Anaheim.
- The Angels have covered the run line in six of their last seven night games against AL Central opponents following a home loss.
- The Angels have led after 7 innings in each of their last four games against the Guardians at Angel Stadium of Anaheim.
- The Angels have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last three games against American League opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Angels' last five night games.
Cleveland Guardians Team Facts
- The Guardians have won each of their last eight night games against the Angels following a win.
- The Guardians have failed to cover the run line in each of their last seven night games against AL West opponents.
- The Guardians have led after 7 innings in each of their last six Thursday games against American League opponents that held a losing record.
- The Guardians have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last three games at Angel Stadium of Anaheim.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Guardians' last four night games.
- The Los Angeles Angels ranks 4th in the league for home runs this season (201).
- The Los Angeles Angels ranks 25th in the league for doubles this season (222).
- The Cleveland Guardians ranks 28th in the league for runs scored this season (568).
- The Cleveland Guardians ranks 28th in the league for RBI's this season (531).
The Angels come into this series really struggling and poor play + injuries have them looking towards the future. Cleveland is still remotely in the race for the AL Central, but they probably need to win three games in this series. The Guardians are starting Cal Quantrill, who has allowed 5+ runs in four of his last five starts. Quantrill has made one start since being activated from the IL, where he allowed two runs over six innings against the Rays. The Angels are starting Griffin Canning, who has allowed two earned runs or fewer in three straight outings (two starts). Canning has been solid in his last two starts, but I can’t trust this Angels team right now. Give me the Guardians here.