Tampa Bay Rays (84-55) vs Boston Red Sox (72-67)
Game Info: Wednesday, September 6, 2023 at 6:40 pm (Tropicana Field)
Tyler Glasnow (7-5) (3.17) vs Nick Pivetta (9-7) (4.49)
Betting Odds: Tampa Bay Rays / Boston Red Sox --- Over/Under: Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Boston Red Sox will play the Tampa Bay Rays in Game 3 of their series on Wednesday night at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. Boston won the first game in this series by a score of 7-3, while Tampa Bay won Game 2 by a score of 8-6 on Tuesday.
Red Sox Preview
The Boston Red Sox are 72-67 this season and they have won three of their last four games. The Red Sox won two out of three games against the Royals on the road prior to this series. Boston has scored 6+ runs in four consecutive games. The Boston pitching staff has a 4.54 ERA, a 1.35 WHIP, and a .259 opponent batting average this year. The Red Sox offense has scored 696 runs with a .264 batting average and a .330 on base percentage. Justin Turner is batting .285 with 22 home runs and 91 RBI’s for the Red Sox. The projected starting pitcher for Boston is Nick Pivetta, who is 9-7 with a 4.49 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP over 112.1 innings pitched this season.
The Tampa Bay Rays are 84-55 this season and they have lost three of their last five games. The Rays were fortunate to win in extra innings on Tuesday night and they remain a few games behind the Orioles in the AL East. The Tampa Bay pitching staff has a 3.82 ERA, a 1.18 WHIP, and a .232 opponent batting average. The Rays offense has scored 743 runs with a .259 batting average and a .331 on base percentage this season. Randy Arozarena is batting .256 with 21 home runs and 78 RBI’s for the Rays. The projected starting pitcher for Tampa Bay is Tyler Glasnow, who is 7-5 with a 3.17 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP over 93.2 innings pitched this year.
Tampa Bay Rays Team Facts
- The Rays have won each of their last 10 games against the Red Sox at Tropicana Field following a home win.
- The Rays have covered the run line in eight of their last nine games as home favorites after going to extra innings.
- The Rays have led after 5 innings in each of their last four games against the Red Sox.
- The Rays have led after 3 innings in each of their last three games.
Boston Red Sox Team Facts
- The Red Sox have lost each of their last nine road games against the Rays following a loss.
- The Red Sox have covered the run line in eight of their last nine road games against AL East opponents.
- The Red Sox have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last four games against American League opponents that held a winning record.
- The Red Sox have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last five games at Tropicana Field.
- The Tampa Bay Rays are one of only 2 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both steals and home runs this season.
- The Tampa Bay Rays ranks T3rd in the league for home runs this season (200).
- The Boston Red Sox ranks 3rd in the league for batting average this season (.264).
- The Boston Red Sox are one of only 4 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both strikeouts and on-base percentage this season.
The Rays continue to try and catch the Orioles in the AL East, but they can’t seem to close the gap recently. The Red Sox are right on the fringe of the AL Wild Card race, but they are close to being too far out. Boston is starting Nick Pivetta, who has allowed five earned runs in his last 5.2 innings of work. Tampa Bay is starting Tyler Glasnow, who has allowed three earned runs or fewer in four of his last five starts. Glasnow has been very solid for Tampa Bay this year and I think that will continue in this game. Take the Rays in this one.