Blue Jays vs Athletics Prediction - MLB Picks 9/6/23
Oakland Athletics (42-96) vs Toronto Blue Jays (76-62)
Game Info: Wednesday, September 6, 2023 at 3:37 pm (Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum)
JP Sears (3-11) (4.54) vs Hyun Jin Ryu (3-1) (2.48)
Betting Odds: Oakland Athletics +151 / Toronto Blue Jays -165 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Oakland Athletics will host the Toronto Blue Jays for their series finale this Wednesday from the Oakland Coliseum. Toronto took game two comfortably by a score of, 7-1.
Blue Jays Preview & Projected Starter
Toronto enters at 77-62 after defeating Oakland. The Blue Jays got a great outing from Chris Bassitt against his former squad, and they’ll look to complete the series sweep on Wednesday. The Toronto offense is scoring 4.85 runs per game, while batting .262, with a .331 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 3.80 ERA, with a 1.26 WHIP.
Hyun-jin Ryu (3-1, 2.48 ERA, 23 Ks) will take the mound for Toronto. The tenth-year pitcher had a solid start at Coors last week, holding the Rockies to two runs thru five innings en route to a Rockies win. Ryu has been steady through his last five starts, holding clubs to two runs or less in each matchup, while allowing just four earned runs combined, and he’ll look to capitalize on the matchup with Oakland here.
Blue Jays Player Trends & Props
• Vlad Guerrero Jr. has produced a run in six of the last nine games, and he leads Toronto in RBI (82), with 21 homers.
• George Springer has totaled multiple bases in four of the previous five games, and he’s posting splits of .262/17/59.
• Whit Merrifield has plated a run in four of the last five games, and he’s batting .286, with 61 RBI.
Athletics Preview & Projected Starter
Oakland moved to 42-97 after losing to Seattle. The Athletics stalled t the plate last night, and they’ll look to avoid being swept here in game three. The Oakland offense is scoring 2.81 runs per game, while batting .222, with a .303 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 6.00 ERA, with a 1.62 WHIP.
JP Sears (3-11, 4.60 ERA, 138 Ks) will get the call for Oakland. The second-year lefty bounced back at home in division action against fhe Angels last time out, tossing six scoreless frames to earn his third win of the season. For the moment, Sears put a rough month of August behind him, and he’ll attempt to keep things going in his first matchup with Toronto this season.
Athletics Player Trends & Facts
• Brent Rooker has recorded a hit in four of the last six games, and he leads Oakland in home runs (23) and RBI (57).
• Ryan Noda has produced a run in four of the previous six games, and he’s posting splits of .237/14/46.
• Zack Gelof has multiple hits in three straight games, and he’s batting .275 thru 46 games.
• Shea Langeliers is second on the team in homers (16) and RBI (49).
Corey’s Free Pick
Toronto comes into Wednesday looking to complete the sweep, and I like their chances coming into game three. Strong two-way efforts have been their bread-and-butter over the past three weeks, and they’ve got the ingredients for another one here. Hyun-jin Ryu has been a nice addition to the Jays rotation, and if his return to Cali goes well, the bats should have his back, and Toronto can head home with their fourth straight win here.