New York Yankees (68-69) vs Detroit Tigers (63-74)
Game Info: Tuesday, September 5, 2023 at 7:05 pm (Yankee Stadium)
Gerrit Cole (12-4) (2.95) vs Alex Faedo (2-5) (4.89)
Betting Odds: New York Yankees -230 / Detroit Tigers +206 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Detroit Tigers will head to the Bronx to face the New York Yankees for game one of their three-game series this Tuesday from Yankee Stadium on the YES Network.
Tigers Preview & Projected Starter
Detroit moved to 63-74 after sweeping Chicago. The Tigers enjoyed a good weekend in the Southside with three wins over the Sox, and they’ll now look to avenge last week’s series loss to the Yanks here. The Detroit offense is scoring 3.04 runs per game, while batting .230, with a .300 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.41 ERA, with a 1.26 WHIP.
Alex Faedo (2-5, 5.99 ERA, 37 Ks) will get the call for Detroit. The second-year righty tossed a scoreless frame in his outing versus Chicago last weekend, and that may be his role for the remainder of the season. Faedo struggled through four starts in August, and he’ll attempt to slow the Yankees down in the Bronx this Tuesday.
Tigers Player Trends & Props
• Spencer Torkelson homered in the game three win, and he leads Detroit in hits (117), home runs (25), and RBI (72).
• Kerry Carpenter has recorded a hit in seven of his last ten games, and he’s second on team in both homers (20) and runs batted in (56), while batting .289.
• Miguel Cabrera will make his final appearance at Yankees Stadium this week, and he collected six hits in two wins over the White Sox.
• Leading batter Riley Greene (.288) may miss the series after picking up an injury in Chicago.
Yankees Preview & Projected Starter
New York moved to 68-69 after sweeping Houston. The Yankees played very well in Texas this weekend, and they’ll look to keep their strong start to the month going here at home. The New York offense is scoring 3.87 runs per game, while batting .230, with a .300 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 3.87 ERA, with a 1.25 WHIP.
Gerrit Cole (12-4, 2.95 ERA, 149 Ks) will take the hill for New York. The tenth-year ace pitched well in Detroit last week, striking out seven through six innings, while holding the Tigers to two runs to earn his twelfth victory. Cole has been the most reliable player in the organization this season, and even with the Yankees struggling throughout the season, he finds himself in the mix for the AL Cy Young Award. The UCLA product has held clubs to two runs or less in seven of his nine post-All Star break starts, and he’ll look to deliver here again versus Detroit.
Yankees Player Trends & Props
• Gleyber Torres homered in all three wins over Detroit last week, and he’s leading NYY in hits (138), while posting splits of .272/24/58.
• Aaron Judge homered in two of three matchups in Houston, and he’s leading the Yanks in homers (31), with 58 RBI.
• Giancarlo Stanton has recorded a hit in seven of the last nine games, and he’s tallied 21 home runs and 53 runs batted in for the season.
• Anthony Volpe has totaled multiple bases in six of the last nine games, and he’s posting similar totals of 20 home runs and 53 RBI.
Corey’s Free Pick
Wow, where have these New York Yankees been! The Yankees have won six of their last seven, and after sweeping the reigning World champs, I think they’ll bring some of that momentum back to the Bronx. Gerrit Cole has been in great form this season, and this feels like a spot to lean on the Yanks to handle business at home. Let’s back New York here for game one.