Chicago Cubs (73-64) vs San Francisco Giants (70-67)
Game Info: Tuesday, September 5, 2023 at 7:40 pm (Wrigley Field)
Kyle Hendricks (5-7) (3.75) vs () ()
Betting Odds: Chicago Cubs / San Francisco Giants --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Chicago Cubs will host the San Francisco Giants for game two of their three game set this Tuesday from Wrigley Field on TBS.
Giants Preview & Projected Starter
San Francisco comes in at 68-63 after falling to Chicago. The Giants failed to produce at the plate in game one, and they’ll look to turn things around on Tuesday. The San Francisco offense is scoring 4.81 runs per game, while batting .250, with a .326 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 3.89 ERA, with a 1.29 WHIP.
Ryan Walker (4-2, 2.16 ERA, 71 Ks) will open the game for San Francisco. The rookie pitcher has found success in a bullpen role this season for SFG. Walker has held teams scoreless in nine of his last ten outings, and he’ll look to get the Giants off to another solid start here at Wrigley.
Giants Player Trends & Props
• Wilmer Flores has taken a walk in four straight games, and he leads the Giants in batting (.288) and home runs (20), with 50 RBI.
• J.D Davis has recorded a hit in seven of the last ten games, and he leads SFG in hits (105), with fifteen home runs and 60 RBI.
• Thairo Estrada has collected a hit in eight of the last nine games, and he’s posting splits of .274/10/41.
Cubs Preview & Projected Starter
Chicago comes in at 74-64 after defeating San Francisco. The Cubs got a great outing from Justin Steele on Labor Day, and they’ll look to double down here in game two. The Chicago offense is scoring 4.12 runs per game, while batting .243, with a .323 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.18 ERA, with a 1.28 WHIP.
Kyle Hendricks (5-7, 3.59 ERA, 74 Ks) will take the bump for Chicago. The longtime Cubs pitcher closed August on a strong note against Milwaukee last time, tying a season-high with six strikeouts thru six scoreless frames. Hendricks has been a key part of the Chicago rotation again this season, and he’ll look to replicate his first outing against San Francisco back in June here, that saw him deal eight innings of shutout ball in the Bay.
Cubs Player Trends & Props
• Cody Bellinger has produced a run in five of the last seven games, and he’s leading the Cubs in batting (.320), home runs (23) and RBI (84).
• Dansby Swanson has doubled in runs in consecutive contests, and he’s posting splits of .244/19/68.
• Nico Hoerner has collected a hit in six of the last nine games, and he leads Chicago in hits (148), with RBI (62).
• Ian Happ has plated a run in four of the previous six games, and he’s posting a line of .247/17/72.
• Jeimer Canderlario homered in the final two matchups with Cincy, and he’s totaled 21 homers and 67 runs batted in between time with Washington and Chicago this season..
Corey’s Free Pick
Chicago inched one game closer to this division lead after picking up the shutout win last night, and I believe they take control of the series here with another victory. After watching Justin Steele deal a gem yesterday, Kyle Hendricks should be motivated to come out, and keep the momentum going for the Cubs. Chicago is also getting solid production throughout the lineup, while it’s literally been hit or miss for the Giants each time out offensively, so let’s back another strong two-way effort from the hosts here in game two.