Brewers vs Pirates Prediction - MLB Picks 9/4/23
Pittsburgh Pirates (63-74) vs Milwaukee Brewers (76-60)
Game Info: Monday, September 4, 2023 at 6:35 pm (PNC Park)
Luis Ortiz (3-4) (5.08) vs Corbin Burnes (9-7) (3.55)
Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates +165 / Milwaukee Brewers -180 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Pittsburgh Pirates will host the Milwaukee Brewers for game one of their divisional series this Monday from PNC Park.
Brewers Preview & Projected Starter
Milwaukee moved to 75-59 after taking two of three from Philadelphia. The Brewers came up a bit short in game three, and they’ll look to get back into the win column on Monday. The Milwaukee offense is 4.56 scoring runs per game, while batting .231, with a .307 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 3.95 ERA, with a 1.31 WHIP.
Corbin Burnes (9-7, 3.55 ERA, 167 Ks) will take the mound for Milwaukee. The sixth-year righty pitched well at Wrigley last week despite the final result, striking out seven over seven innings of work, while holding the Cubs to just one run. Burnes has been pretty steady since the start of July, holding clubs to two runs or less in nine of his last eleven starts. Burnes has pitched a pair of quality starts in two outings versus Pittsburgh this season, and he’ll look to deliver once again here.
Brewers Player Trends & Props
• Christian Yelich produced a run in the game two win, and he leads the Brewers in hits (141) and RBI (69), with seventeen homers.
• Willy Adames provided a three-run shot in the game one victory, and he leads Milwaukee in home runs (22), with 65 RBI.
• William Contreras brings a thirteen-game hit streak into this contest, and after producing a run in seven of the last ten games, he leads the team in batting (.282), with 14 homers and 65 runs batted in.
• Carlos Santana has collected a hit in twelve straight games, and he’s totaled eighteen homers and 68 RBI between time in Pittsburgh and Milwaukee this season.
Pirates Preview & Projected Starter
Pittsburgh comes in at 63-74 after taking two of three St. Louis. The Pirates’ stay in Missouri went well, as they won five of six games, and they’ll now look to give the division leaders some trouble this week. The Pittsburgh offense is scoring 4.11 runs per game, while batting .235, with a .320 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.50 ERA, with a 1.38 WHIP.
Pittsburgh has yet to name a starter for this contest.
Pirates Player Trends & Props
• Bryan Reynolds has produced a run in three of the last four games, and he’s first on the team in hits (127), with splits of .264/19/67.
• Ke’Bryan Hayes has collected a hit in eight of the last ten games, and he’s batting .265, with 52 RBI for the season.
• Andrew McCutchen recorded a hit in all three games against STL, and he’s posting a line of .250/12/42.
• Jack Suwinski went hitless over the weekend, but he still leads the club in home runs (22), with 56 RBI.
Corey’s Free Pick
Milwaukee has to keep their foot on the gas with both Chicago and Cincinnati within striking distance of hopping them atop the NL Central standings, and I believe they capitalize with their ace on the mound here. Corbin Burnes has been very reliable over the past two months, and with a division crown in sight, the Brew Crew should come out with a sense of urgency, and bring this one home. Back the Brewers for this divisional matchup.