Rays vs Guardians Prediction - MLB Picks 9/2/23
Cleveland Guardians (65-70) vs Tampa Bay Rays (82-53)
Game Info: Saturday, September 2, 2023 at 6:10 pm (Progressive Field)
Logan Allen (6-7) (3.61) vs Zack Littell (3-4) (4.45)
Betting Odds: Cleveland Guardians +114 / Tampa Bay Rays -135 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Tampa Bay Rays will play the Cleveland Guardians in Game 2 of their series on Saturday night at Progressive Field in Cleveland, Ohio. Cleveland won the first game in this series by a score of 3-2 on Friday night. Every game is huge for Cleveland right now, as they are barely hanging on in the race for the AL Central.
The Tampa Bay Rays are 82-53 this season and they have won four of their last five games. Prior to the Game 1 loss, Tampa Bay won both games played against Miami. The Rays have played very well over the last month, but they cannot seem to catch the Orioles in the AL East. The Tampa Bay pitching staff has a 3.82 ERA, a 1.18 WHIP, and a .232 opponent batting average this season. The Rays offense has scored 720 runs with a .259 batting average and a .331 on base percentage. Isaac Paredes is batting .253 with 27 home runs and 84 RBI’s for the Rays. The projected starting pitcher for Tampa Bay is Zack Littell, who is 3-4 with a 4.45 ERA and a 1.21 WHIP over 58.2 innings pitched this year.
The Cleveland Guardians are 65-70 this season and they have won three games in a row. Cleveland came into this series after winning two out of three game against the Twins. The Guardians have played well over the last week and they have clawed their way back into the AL Central conversation. The Cleveland pitching staff has a 3.84 ERA, a 1.28 WHIP, and a .244 opponent batting average. The Guardians offense has scored 548 runs with a .248 batting average and a .310 on base percentage this year. Jose Ramirez is batting .276 with 21 home runs and 71 RBI’s for the Guardians. The projected starting pitcher for Cleveland is Logan Allen, who is 6-7 with a 3.61 ERA and a 1.35 WHIP over 107.1 innings pitched this season.
Cleveland Guardians Team Facts
- The Guardians have won four of their last five games as underdogs.
- The underdogs have covered the run line in each of the last seven games between the Rays and Guardians at Progressive Field.
- The Guardians have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last three home night games.
- The Guardians have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last eight games at Progressive Field.
- The Guardians have led after 7 innings in four of their last six games as underdogs against AL East opponents.
Tampa Bay Rays Team Facts
- The Rays have won each of their last seven games against AL Central opponents following a loss.
- The Rays have covered the run line in each of their last six road games following a loss.
- The Rays have led after 3 innings in each of their last three night games against the Guardians.
- The Rays have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last three games as favorites against AL Central opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Rays' last seven Saturday night games against American League opponents.
Cleveland Guardians Player Prop Facts
- Jose Ramirez has hit a home run in two of the Guardians' last three games as underdogs against AL East opponents.
- Kole Calhoun has recorded at least one RBI in four of the Guardians' last five games as underdogs against AL opponents.
- Andres Gimenez has scored at least one run in each of the Guardians' last five night games.
- Steven Kwan has recorded two or more total bases in four of his last five appearances against the Rays after playing the previous day.
- Jose Ramirez has recorded at least one hit in each of his last five appearances against AL East opponents that held a winning record.
Tampa Bay Rays Player Prop Facts
- Jose Siri has hit a home run in two of his last three appearances in night games against AL Central teams that held a losing record.
- Randy Arozarena has recorded at least one RBI in six of the Rays' last seven night games against AL Central opponents that held a losing record.
- Jose Siri has scored at least one run in each of his last five appearances in night games against teams that held a losing record.
- Yandy Diaz has recorded two or more total bases in nine of his last 11 appearances.
- Randy Arozarena has recorded at least one hit in 13 of his last 14 appearances in night games against AL Central teams that held a losing record.
- Yandy Diaz ranks 6th amongst qualified players for On Base Percentage (.400) this season.
- The Cleveland Guardians ranks 28th in the league for RBI's this season (511).
- The Cleveland Guardians ranks T3rd in the league for home runs allowed this season (142).
- The Tampa Bay Rays ranks 2nd in the league for runs allowed this season (535).
- The Tampa Bay Rays are one of only 3 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both steals and home runs this season.
The Guardians picked up a huge win on Friday night and they will look to do the same in this matchup. Both of these teams have very good team ERA’s, but three of the first four meetings between these two teams have gone over 10 runs. Cleveland is starting Logan Allen, who has allowed two earned runs or fewer in four of his last five starts. Tampa Bay is starting Zack Littell, who has allowed eight earned runs in his last two starts (11.1 IP). Allen has been very solid for the Guardians this year and I think we are going to see another low scoring game. Take the under in this matchup.