Marlins vs Nationals Prediction - MLB Picks 9/2/23
Washington Nationals (62-74) vs Miami Marlins (68-67)
Game Info: Saturday, September 2, 2023 at 4:05 pm (Nationals Park)
Trevor Williams (6-8) (4.82) vs Johnny Cueto (0-3) (5.57)
Betting Odds: Washington Nationals / Miami Marlins --- Over/Under: Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Miami Marlins will play the Washington Nationals in Game 3 of their series on Saturday afternoon at Nationals Park in Washington, DC. Miami has won the first two games in this series by scores of 6-1 and 8-5. The Marlins are currently a few games out of a Wild Card spot in the NL and could really use two wins in the next two days.
The Miami Marlins are 68-67 this season and they have won three of their last five games. Prior to this series, Miami lost both games in their mini series with the Rays. The Marlins had been hitting the ball pretty poorly, but they have scored 14 runs in the first two games of this series. The Miami pitching staff has a 4.14 ERA, a 1.27 WHIP, and a .242 opponent batting average this year. The Marlins offense has scored 542 runs with a .258 batting average and a .314 on base percentage. Luis Arraez is batting .350 with five home runs and 58 RBI’s for the Marlins. The projected starting pitcher for Miami is Johnny Cueto, who is 0-3 with a 5.57 ERA and a 1.11 WHIP over 32.1 innings pitched this season.
The Washington Nationals are 62-74 this season and they have lost five of their last six games. Washington was one of the hottest teams in baseball about a week ago, but they have returned to true form in their last few games. The Nationals have allowed 6+ runs in four of their last five games. The Washington pitching staff has a 4.90 ERA, a 1.45 WHIP, and a .268 opponent batting average. The Nationals offense has scored 586 runs with a .256 batting average and a .316 on base percentage this season. Lane Thomas is batting .282 with 21 home runs and 71 RBI’s for the Nationals. The projected starting pitcher for Washington is Trevor Williams, who is 6-8 with a 4.82 ERA and a 1.46 WHIP over 130.2 innings pitched this year.
Washington Nationals Team Facts
- The Nationals have lost each of their last six home games after going to extra innings.
- The Nationals have failed to cover the run line in eight of their last nine home games against the Marlins following a loss.
- The Nationals have led after 5 innings in each of their last five games against NL East opponents that held a winning record.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Nationals' last four day games against National League opponents.
Miami Marlins Team Facts
- The Marlins have won each of their last 11 games against the Nationals following a road win.
- The Marlins have covered the run line in each of their last seven day games against NL East opponents following a road win.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Marlins' last three day games at Nationals Park.
- The Washington Nationals ranks 2nd in the league for strikeouts against this season (965).
- The Washington Nationals ranks 29th in the league for strikeouts this season (1027).
- The Miami Marlins ranks 28th in the league for walks this season (346).
- The Miami Marlins ranks T3rd in the league for strikeouts this season (1259).
The Marlins were able to get a second big win in this series on Friday night, as they try to climb back into a Wild Card spot in the National League. Washington has really struggled over their last couple of series and the pitching staff has been below average in those games. The Nationals are starting Trevor Williams, who has allowed two earned runs in his last 13 innings of work. The Marlins are starting Johnny Cueto, who has allowed 4 runs in three of his last four starts. I like the Nationals to get the win here.