Angels vs Phillies Prediction - MLB Picks 8/30/23
Philadelphia Phillies (73-58) vs Los Angeles Angels (63-69)
Game Info: Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 1:05 pm (Citizens Bank Park)
Cristopher Sanchez (2-3) (3.33) vs Reid Detmers (3-10) (5.03)
Betting Odds: Philadelphia Phillies -150 / Los Angeles Angels +138 --- Over/Under: 9.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Philadelphia Phillies and Los Angeles Angels do battle Wednesday afternoon in game 3 of an MLB series at Citizens Bank Park. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
Los Angeles Angels Betting Preview
The Angels need a win after losing 7 of their last 9 games. The Angels are 12.5 games back in the AL wild card race. The Angels pitching staff is 23rd in ERA (4.66), 23rd in WHIP (1.41) and 20th in quality starts (41). The Angels' offense is 13th in runs per game (4.72), 15th in batting average (.249) and 4th in homers (193). Shohei Ohtani leads the Angels with 149 hits and 94 RBI, while Hunter Renfroe and Brandon Drury have combined for 207 hits and 113 RBI. Reid Detmers gets the ball, and he is 3-10 with a 5.03 ERA and 139 strikeouts this season. This will be Detmers’ first career game against the Phillies.
Los Angeles Angels Team Facts
- The Angels have lost each of their last seven games against National League opponents following a road loss.
- The Angels have failed to cover the run line in each of their last seven games against National League opponents following a road loss.
- The Angels have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last six games against opponents that held a winning record.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Angels' last four day games against NL East opponents.
- The Angels have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last seven Wednesday games against National League opponents that held a winning record.
Philadelphia Phillies Betting Preview
The Phillies look to build on their 5-game winning streak. The Phillies are holding onto the first NL wild card spot. The Phillies pitching staff is 7th in ERA (3.93), 8th in WHIP (1.24) and 4th in quality starts (60). The Phillies' offense is 9th in runs per game (4.86), 5th in batting average (.262) and 11th in homers (170). Nick Castellanos leads the Phillies with 143 hits and 82 RBI, while Bryson Stott and Trea Turner have combined for 281 hits and 112 RBI. Cristopher Sanchez gets the ball, and he is 2-3 with a 3.33 ERA and 64 strikeouts this season. This will be Sanchez’s second career game against the Angels.
Philadelphia Phillies Team Facts
- The home team has won each of the last 10 games between the Angels and Phillies.
- The Phillies have covered the run line each of their last seven home games against teams that held a losing record.
- The Phillies have led after 7 innings in each of their last seven home games against opponents that held a losing record.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Phillies' last three day games at Citizens Bank Park.
- The Phillies have trailed after 5 innings in four of their last five games as home favorites against AL West opponents.
- The Philadelphia Phillies ranks 4th in the league for doubles this season (250).
- The Philadelphia Phillies ranks T4th in the league for triples this season (25).
- The Los Angeles Angels ranks 28th in the league for walks allowed this season (515).
- The Los Angeles Angels ranks 4th in the league for home runs this season (193).
The Angels are going nowhere fast as the losses continue to pile up and Reid Detmers isn't a pitcher who can turn things around with his 5.03 ERA. The Phillies have lost 10 of their last 15 games Detmers has pitched. The Phillies are on fire offensively, they're closing in on a wild card spot, and Cristopher Sanchez has been solid with a 3.33 ERA and 1.01 WHIP. Give me the Phillies and the reasonable price with a quick turnaround.