Padres vs Cardinals Prediction - MLB Picks 8/29/23
St. Louis Cardinals (56-75) vs San Diego Padres (61-70)
Game Info: Tuesday, August 29, 2023 at 7:45 pm (Busch Stadium)
Zack Thompson (3-4) (3.86) vs Seth Lugo (5-6) (3.70)
Betting Odds: St. Louis Cardinals +111 / San Diego Padres -132 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: Bally Sports Midwest Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The San Diego Padres and St. Louis Cardinals face off on Tuesday in an MLB showdown at Busch Stadium. On Monday it was the Padres that were able to secure the 4-1 victory.
Padres Finally Pick Up Another Win
The Padres struggled over the weekend against the Milwaukee Brewers but they bounced back on Monday. The pitching was good giving up only one run and that led to the three run victory. Blake Snell was lights out going seven innings giving up two hits and nine strikeouts. The Padres are averaging 4.49 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.09 runs per game. The offense is ranked 14th and the pitching is ranked 5th, but that just hasn’t been resulting in wins. On the mound for the Padres will be Seth Lugo who sits with a 5-6 record and an ERA of 3.70. Juan Soto has hit 25 home runs and driven in 78 RBIs.
Padres Betting Trends
- The Padres have lost each of their last five games as favorites against National League opponents following a win.
- The Padres have failed to cover the run line in each of their last six night games against National League opponents following a win.
- The Padres have trailed after 7 innings in seven of their last 10 games as favorites against NL Central opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Padres' last four night games against National League opponents.
Another Wasted Season for St. Louis
It’s another wasted season for the Cardinals and they come into this game with a 56-76 record overall. The biggest issue heading into this game for St. Louis has been the offense. Over the last four games the Cardinals have scored only four runs total. Overall the Cardinals are averaging 4.49 runs while their pitching is giving up 5.07 runs per game. The offense is ranked 14th while the pitching is ranked 25th. On the mound for St. Louis is Zach Thompson who sits with a 3-5 record and an ERA of 3.86.
Cardinals Betting Trends
- The Cardinals have lost each of their last eight night games after playing the previous day.
- The Cardinals have failed to cover the run line each of their last seven night games against teams that held a losing record.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the last three night games between the Padres and Cardinals at Busch Stadium.
- The Cardinals have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last eight night games against National League opponents.
Cardinals vs Padres Facts
- The St. Louis Cardinals ranks 29th in the league for hits allowed this season (1258).
- The St. Louis Cardinals ranks 28th in the league for strikeouts this season (1021).
- The San Diego Padres ranks 4th in the league for hits allowed this season (1040).
- The San Diego Padres ranks 5th in the league for runs allowed this season (537).
Shane’s Free Pick
Monday was a low scoring game and it’s going to be much of the same in this game. The Cardinals bats have really struggled heading into this game and they are going to have some major issues getting the bats going against Luto. Thompson will also have a strong start and that will be enough for this game to stay under the total. Back the under to cash here.