Diamondbacks vs Dodgers Prediction - MLB Picks 8/29/23
Los Angeles Dodgers (81-49) vs Arizona Diamondbacks (69-63)
Game Info: Tuesday, August 29, 2023 at 10:10 pm (Dodger Stadium)
Clayton Kershaw (11-4) (2.52) vs Merrill Kelly (10-5) (3.10)
Betting Odds: Los Angeles Dodgers -175 / Arizona Diamondbacks +157 --- Over/Under: 8 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Los Angeles Dodgers will host the Arizona Diamondbacks for game two of their divisional series this Monday from Dodger Stadium. Los Angeles took game one by three, 7-4.
Diamondbacks Preview & Projected Starter
Arizona enters at 69-63 after losing to Los Angeles. The Diamondbacks failed to score after the fourth inning, and they’ll look to bounce back here in game two. The Arizona offense is scoring 4.34 runs per game, while batting .257, with a .326 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.41 ERA, with a 1.34 WHIP.
Merrill Kelly (10-5, 2.97 ERA, 146 Ks) will get the call for Arizona. The fifth-year pitcher came through with arguably his best outing of the season against Cincy last week, striking out twelve thru seven scoreless frames, before being robbed of a winning decision. Kelly continues to shine alongside Zac Gallen this season, and after a rough night from his fellow ace, the DBacks will need a strong showing from him. Kelly tossed six scoreless frames against the Dodgers three weeks ago, and he’ll look to replicate that effort here in LA.
DBacks Player Trends & Props
• Christian Walker produced a run in the final three matchups with Cincy, and he’s Arizona’s leader in home runs (28) and RBI (86).
• Ketel Marte also plated runs in the final three games against the Reds, and he’s first on the team in hits (129), with 21 homers and 68 runs batted in.
• Corbin Carroll has multiple hits in six of the previous eight games, and he’s leading the DBacks in batting (.281), with 22 home runs and 64 RBI.
• Lourdes Gurriel Jr. homered in the game three win, and he’s posting splits of .253/20/67.
Dodgers Preview & Projected Starter
Los Angeles moved to 81-49 after defeating Arizona. The Dodgers got back took it to Zac Gallen last night, and they’ll look to win a third straight game here Tuesday. The Los Angeles offense is scoring 5.04 runs per game, while batting .248, with a .330 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.50 ERA, with a 1.28 WHIP.
Clayton Kershaw (11-4, 2.52 ERA, 115 Ks) will make the road start for Los Angeles. The veteran southpaw had a short outing in Cleveland last time out, striking out four thru just two innings pitched. With the postseason approaching, it makes complete sense for LAD to manage their longtime ace’s workload to remain fresh. Kershaw picked up his first win and loss against Arizona back in April, and he’s allowed two runs or less in each of his eight home spots this season.
Dodgers Player Trends & Props
• Mookie Betts homered in the final game of his return to Boston, and after totaling multiple bases in fourteen straight contests, he leads LAD in home runs (35) and RBI (93). while batting an impressive .315.
• Freddie Freeman has doubled in four of the last five games, and he leads the Dodgers in BA (.341) and hits (175), with 23 homers and 86 runs batted in.
• Max Muncy produced a run in all three games at Fenway, and he’s totaled 30 home runs and 83 RBI for the season.
• Amed Rosario plated runs in the final two games against the Res Sox, and he’s batting .261, with 53 RBI for the season.
Corey’s Free Pick
The Dodgers came through for us at home last night, and while they have a solid straight of doubling down, I like targeting the magic number here. Clayton Kershaw’s and Merrill Kelly have both enjoyed strong season’s, but this total is marked pretty low for the lineups that these two clubs have. With Arizona looking to get back into the win column, and Los Angeles looking to maintain their division lead, let’s back the Over for game two of this NL West series.