Kansas City Royals (41-91) vs Pittsburgh Pirates (58-73)
Game Info: Monday, August 28, 2023 at 8:10 pm (Ewing M. Kauffman Stadium)
Zack Greinke (1-12) (5.34) vs Johan Oviedo (7-13) (4.46)
Betting Odds: Kansas City Royals -105 / Pittsburgh Pirates -115 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: FS1 Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Pittsburgh Pirates will play the Kansas City Royals in Game 1 of their series on Monday night at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri. Pittsburgh is coming off of a series loss over the weekend, but they will be playing one of the worst teams in all of baseball here.
The Pittsburgh Pirates are 58-73 this season and they have lost four of their last five games. Pittsburgh is coming off of a series loss to the Cubs, where they lost three out of four games. The Pirates allowed 10 runs in each of their last two games and they have allowed five runs or more in four of their last five. The Pittsburgh pitching staff has a 4.60 ERA, a 1.40 WHIP, and a .255 opponent batting average. The Pirates offense has scored 547 runs with a .234 batting average and a .313 on base percentage this season. Bryan Reynolds is batting .263 with 18 home runs and 64 RBI’s for the Pirates. The projected starting pitcher for Pittsburgh is Johan Oviedo, who is 7-13 with a 4.46 ERA and a 1.33 WHIP over 145.1 innings pitched this year.
The Kansas City Royals are 41-91 this season and they have lost seven of their last eight games. Kansas City is coming off of a series loss to the Mariners, where they lost all three games on the road. The Royals pitching staff has not been good this year and they allowed 25 runs in three games in Seattle. The Kansas City pitching staff has a 5.22 ERA, a 1.42 WHIP, and a .264 opponent batting average this season. The Royals offense has scored 526 runs with a .242 batting average and a .299 on base percentage. Bobby Witt is batting .278 with 26 home runs and 81 RBI’s for the Royals. The projected starting pitcher for Kansas City is Zack Greinke, who is 1-12 with a 5.34 ERA and a 1.25 WHIP over 114.2 innings pitched this season.
Kansas City Royals Team Facts
- The favorites have won each of the last 11 games between the Pirates and Royals.
- The Royals have covered the run line in each of their last six games against the Pirates following a loss.
- The Royals have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last five night games.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the last six night games between the Pirates and Royals.
- The Royals have led after 7 innings in each of their last five night games against the Pirates at Kauffman Stadium.
Pittsburgh Pirates Team Facts
- The Pirates have lost four of their last five games as favorites after playing the previous day.
- The Pirates have failed to cover the run line in each of their last eight games as favorites against American League opponents following a home loss.
- The Pirates have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last five night games at Kauffman Stadium against AL Central opponents.
- The Pirates have trailed after 5 innings in nine of their last 13 games as favorites against AL Central opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Pirates' last five games at Kauffman Stadium.
Kansas City Royals Player Prop Facts
- Bobby Witt Jr. has hit a home run in four of the Royals' last seven home games.
- Bobby Witt Jr. has recorded at least one RBI in nine of the Royals' last 10 games against NL opponents at Kauffman Stadium.
- MJ Melendez has scored a run in each of the Royals' last five night games.
- Bobby Witt Jr. has recorded two or more total bases in each of the Royals' last seven home games against NL opponents that held a losing record.
- Zack Greinke has recorded three or more strikeouts in 35 of his last 36 appearances with his team as an underdog against NL opponents.
- MJ Melendez has recorded at least one hit in 15 of his last 16 appearances after playing the previous day.
Pittsburgh Pirates Player Prop Facts
- Bryan Reynolds has hit a home run in two of the Pirates' last three games at Kauffman Stadium against AL Central opponents that held a losing record.
- Bryan Reynolds has recorded at least one RBI in three of the Pirates' last four road games against the Royals.
- Connor Joe has recorded two or more total bases in each of the Pirates' last four night games against opponents that held a losing record.
- Ke'Bryan Hayes has scored at least one run in each of his last four appearances in night games.
- Johan Oviedo has recorded five strikeouts in each of his three previous appearances with the Pirates as favorites against AL opponents.
- Andrew McCutchen has recorded at least one hit in each of his last eight appearances against AL Central opponents that held a losing record.
- The Kansas City Royals ranks 29th in the league for walks this season (318).
- The Kansas City Royals ranks 28th in the league for ERA this season (5.22).
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 4th in the league for walks this season (462).
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks T26th in the league for home runs this season (127).
The Royals limp into this game after losing 13 of their last 17 games and they are 50 games under .500. The Pirates have struggled in their last five games, but they have played better over the last two months or so. The Pirates are starting Johan Oviedo, who has allowed 11 earned runs in his last three starts (14 IP). Kansas City is starting Zack Greinke, who has allowed four earned runs or more in two of his last four starts. Both teams have struggled recently, but I am going to take the Royals here. Greinke pitched four scoreless innings last time out and faces a Pirates team that isn’t great offensively. Take Kansas City here.