Padres vs Cardinals Prediction - MLB Picks 8/28/23
St. Louis Cardinals (56-75) vs San Diego Padres (61-70)
Game Info: Monday, August 28, 2023 at 7:45 pm (Busch Stadium)
Adam Wainwright (3-9) (8.61) vs Blake Snell (10-9) (2.73)
Betting Odds: St. Louis Cardinals +136 / San Diego Padres -162 --- Over/Under: 10 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The San Diego Padres will play the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 1 of their series on Monday night at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri. St. Louis looked pretty pathetic at the plate over the weekend, while San Diego also went winless in their last series.
The San Diego Padres are 61-70 this season and they have lost six of their last eight games. San Diego is coming off of a series loss to the Brewers, where they lost all three games. The Padres allowed 22 runs in the three games in Milwaukee, which is a lot for one of the lowest team ERA’s in the MLB. The San Diego pitching staff has a 3.87 ERA, a 1.28 WHIP, and a .239 opponent batting average this year. The Padres offense haș scored 589 runs with a .237 batting average and a .324 on base percentage. Manny Machado is batting .250 with 25 home runs and 77 RBI’s for the Padres. The projected starting pitcher for San Diego is Blake Snell, who is 10-9 with a 2.73 ERA and a 1.27 WHIP over 142 innings pitched this season.
The St. Louis Cardinals are 56-75 this season and they have lost nine of their last eleven games. St. Louis is coming off of a series loss to the Phillies, where they lost all three games on the road. The Cardinals only scored three runs in their series with Philadelphia and they have scored three runs or fewer in nine of their last eleven games. The St. Louis pitching staff has a 4.73 ERA, a 1.44 WHIP, and a .275 opponent batting average this year. The Cardinals offense has scored 589 runs with a .254 batting average and a .329 on base percentage. Paul Goldschmidt is batting .276 with 21 home runs and 68 RBI’s for the Cardinals. The projected starting pitcher for St. Louis is Adam Wainwright, who is 3-9 with an 8.61 ERA and a 1.99 WHIP over 77.1 innings pitched this year.
St. Louis Cardinals Team Facts
- The Cardinals have lost each of their last seven night games after playing the previous day.
- The Cardinals have failed to cover the run line in 12 of their last 13 night games against National League opponents.
- The Cardinals have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last three games against National League opponents.
- The Cardinals have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last seven night games against National League opponents.
- The Cardinals have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last seven night games against National League opponents.
San Diego Padres Team Facts
- The Padres have lost each of their last seven games at Busch Stadium.
- The Padres have covered the run line in each of their last nine night games at Busch Stadium following a loss.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Padres' last five games as road favorites against National League opponents.
- The Padres have trailed after 7 innings in seven of their last nine games as favorites against NL Central opponents.
St. Louis Cardinals Player Prop Facts
- Tyler O'Neill has hit a home run in three of his last four appearances with the Cardinals as home underdogs.
- Tyler O'Neill has recorded at least one RBI in four of his last five appearances against the Padres at Busch Stadium.
- Paul Goldschmidt has scored at least one run in each of the Cardinals' last seven games against the Padres at Busch Stadium.
- Adam Wainwright has recorded four or more strikeouts in 14 of his last 15 appearances at Busch Stadium against NL West opponents that held a losing record.
- Nolan Arenado has recorded at least one hit in each of the Cardinals' last 10 home games against NL West opponents.
- Nolan Arenado has recorded at least one total base in each of the Cardinals' last 10 home games against NL West opponents.
San Diego Padres Player Prop Facts
- Gary Sanchez has hit a home run in two of the Padres' last three road games against NL Central opponents.
- Garrett Cooper has recorded two or more hits in three of his last four appearances with his team as a favorite against the Cardinals.
- Xander Bogaerts has recorded two or more total bases in eight of his last nine appearances against the Cardinals after playing the previous day.
- Trent Grisham has scored at least one run in 10 of the Padres' last 11 games as road favorites against NL opponents.
- Manny Machado has recorded an RBI in each of the Padres' last four road games against NL opponents.
- Blake Snell ranks 4th in the league for total Strikeouts (184) this season.
- The St. Louis Cardinals ranks 29th in the league for hits allowed this season (1246).
- The St. Louis Cardinals ranks 28th in the league for strikeouts this season (1020).
- The San Diego Padres ranks 5th in the league for ERA this season (3.87).
- The San Diego Padres ranks 5th in the league for runs allowed this season (536).
These two teams have been very disappointing this season, but the good news is that someone has to win here. San Diego is 26-37 on the road, while St. Louis is 28-37 at home. The Cardinals are starting Adam Wainwright, who has allowed 24 earned runs in his last four starts (14.2 IP). The Padres are starting Blake Snell, who has allowed three earned runs or fewer in 17 straight starts. Snell has been way better than Wainwright this season, so I am taking the Padres here.