Chicago Cubs (69-61) vs Milwaukee Brewers (73-57)
Game Info: Monday, August 28, 2023 at 8:05 pm (Wrigley Field)
Jameson Taillon (7-8) (5.60) vs Wade Miley (6-3) (3.18)
Betting Odds: Chicago Cubs -130 / Milwaukee Brewers +110 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Milwaukee Brewers will play the Chicago Cubs in Game 1 of their series on Monday night at Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois. Chicago has won three series in a row, but they are still a few games out of first place in the NL Central. Milwaukee is leading the NL Central and they come into this game on a long winning streak.
The Milwaukee Brewers are 73-57 this season and they have won eight games in a row. Milwaukee is coming off of a series sweep against the Padres, where they won all three games. The Brewers were able to score 22 runs in the three games against Milwaukee and they have scored at least six runs in seven of their last eight games. The Milwaukee pitching staff has a 3.99 ERA, a 1.22 WHIP, and a .233 opponent batting average. The Brewers offense has scored 574 runs with a .235 batting average and a .316 on base percentage this year. Christian Yelich is batting .280 with 16 home runs and 67 RBI’s for the Brewers. The projected starting pitcher for Milwaukee is Wade Miley, who is 6-3 with a 3.18 ERA and a 1.17 WHIP over 87.2 innings pitched this season.
The Chicago Cubs are 69-61 this season and they have won seven of their last nine games. Chicago is coming off of a series win against Pittsburgh, where they won three out of four games. The Cubs scored 20 runs in Games 3 and 4 against the Pirates and they have been hot at the plate recently. The Chicago pitching staff has a 4.16 ERA, a 1.28 WHIP, and a .243 opponent batting average this year. The Cubs offense has scored 662 runs with a .254 batting average and a .330 on base percentage. Cody Bellinger is batting .321 with 20 home runs and 75 RBI’s for the Cubs. The projected starting pitcher for Chicago is Jameson Taillon, who is 7-8 with a 5.60 ERA and a 1.35 WHIP over 115.2 innings pitched this year.
Chicago Cubs Team Facts
- The Cubs have won each of their last five home games after playing the previous day.
- The Cubs have failed to cover the run line in 14 of their last 16 night games against the Brewers following a road win.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Cubs' last nine games as favorites against National League opponents.
- The Cubs have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last three Monday games as home favorites.
- The Cubs have led after 7 innings in each of their last four night games against opponents that held a winning record.
Milwaukee Brewers Team Facts
- The Brewers have won each of their last five games as underdogs.
- The Brewers have covered the run line in each of their last six games as underdogs.
- The Brewers have led after 3 innings in four of their last six games as road underdogs.
- The Brewers have led after 7 innings in 16 of their last 24 games as road underdogs against NL Central opponents.
Chicago Cubs Player Prop Facts
- Dansby Swanson has hit at least one home run in three of the Cubs' last four games as home favorites against NL Central opponents.
- Ian Happ has recorded at least one RBI in seven of the Cubs' last eight home games against NL Central opponents that held a winning record.
- Seiya Suzuki has recorded two or more total bases in each of the Cubs' last seven games as favorites.
- Nico Hoerner has scored at least one run in each of the Cubs' last nine games at Wrigley Field against NL Central opponents that held a winning record.
- Jameson Taillon has recorded five or more strikeouts in 13 of his last 16 home appearances against NL Central opponents.
- Cody Bellinger has recorded at least one hit in each of his last 19 home appearances against NL opponents.
- Nico Hoerner ranks T6th in the league in Steals (34) this season.
Milwaukee Brewers Player Prop Facts
- Willy Adames has hit a home run in three of the Brewers' last four games against opponents that held a winning record.
- Willy Adames has recorded at least one RBI in each of the Brewers' last five games against opponents that held a winning record.
- William Contreras has scored at least one run in each of his last five appearances after playing the previous day.
- Christian Yelich has recorded two or more total bases in each of the Brewers' last five games against the Cubs.
- Wade Miley has recorded four or more strikeouts in each of his last three appearances against NL Central opponents.
- William Contreras has recorded at least one hit in each of his last seven appearances.
- The Chicago Cubs ranks T6th in the league for triples this season (23).
- The Chicago Cubs ranks 6th in the league for RBI's this season (635).
- The Milwaukee Brewers ranks 28th in the league for hits this season (1014).
- The Milwaukee Brewers ranks 28th in the league for slugging percentage this season (.380).
This should be a great series between two teams battling for the NL Central and the Cubs will have the home field advantage. Milwaukee will bring their eight game winning streak into Wrigley Field in this game and they will have Wade Miley on the mound, who has allowed three earned runs or fewer in five straight outings. Chicago is starting Jameson Taillon, who has allowed 14 earned runs in his last three starts (14.2 IP). Both teams have hit the ball well recently and with Taillon’s recent struggles, I like the over here.