Astros vs Red Sox Prediction - MLB Picks 8/28/23
Boston Red Sox (69-61) vs Houston Astros (73-58)
Game Info: Monday, August 28, 2023 at 7:10 pm (Fenway Park)
Chris Sale (5-3) (4.68) vs Cristian Javier (9-2) (4.52)
Betting Odds: Boston Red Sox -120 / Houston Astros +110 --- Over/Under: 9.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: AT&T Sportsnet Southwest Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Houston Astros and Boston Red Sox face off on Monday in an MLB showdown at Fenway Park.
Astros Bats are on Fire
The Astros bats are on fire coming into this game, and especially on Sunday they had no issue running up the score. The Astros scored 17 runs against the Detroit Tigers and that was enough to secure the blowout victory. Jeremy Pena was the top player finishing with five hits and three RBIs. Yordan Alvarez also had two RBIs and three RBIs. The Astros are averaging 4.98 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.31 runs per game. The offense is ranked 7th while the pitching staff is ranked 12th. On the mound for the Astros is Cristian Javier who sits with a 9-2 record and an ERA of 4.52.
Astros Betting Trends
- The Astros have won each of their last five games as road underdogs.
- The Astros have covered the run line in eight of their last nine games as road underdogs after playing the previous day.
- The Astros have led after 5 innings in 12 of their last 18 games as underdogs against AL East opponents.
- The Astros have led after 3 innings in each of their last three games as underdogs.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Astros' last seven night games against AL East opponents.
Red Sox Coming Off A Series Loss
The Red Sox are just coming off a series loss against the Los Angeles Dodgers. On Sunday the Red Sox scored four runs but the pitching gave up seven runs on the way to the loss. The Red Sox are averaging 4.99 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.67 runs per game. The offense is ranked 6th while the pitching is ranked 19th. Rafael Devers has hit 29 home runs and driven in 88 RBIs. On the mound for the Red Sox will be Chris Sale who sits with a 5-3 record and an ERA of 4.68.
Red Sox Betting Trends
- The Red Sox have won each of their last six night games against American League opponents following a home loss.
- The Red Sox have failed to cover the run line in each of their last six games as home favorites against the Astros following a home loss.
- The Red Sox have won the first inning in each of their last four games at Fenway Park against AL West opponents that held a winning record.
- The Red Sox have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last five night games against American League opponents that held a winning record.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Red Sox's last five night games.
Astros vs Red Sox Facts
- The Boston Red Sox ranks 3rd in the league for batting average this season (.265).
- The Boston Red Sox ranks 5th in the league for slugging percentage this season (.440).
- The Houston Astros are one of only 5 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both home runs and batting average this season.
- The Houston Astros are one of only 5 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both strikeouts and on-base percentage this season.
Shane’s Free Pick
The Red Sox have value in this game. Javier hasn’t been dominant and most of the time his success has been because of the run support he has received. I expect Sale is going to keep the ball in the ballpark, and after so much scoring on Sunday for Houston, they are going to really struggle to get the offense going here. Back the Red Sox on the money line to cash here.