Angels vs Phillies Prediction - MLB Picks 8/28/23
Philadelphia Phillies (71-58) vs Los Angeles Angels (63-68)
Game Info: Monday, August 28, 2023 at 6:40 pm (Citizens Bank Park)
Taijuan Walker (13-5) (4.08) vs Lucas Giolito (7-10) (4.32)
Betting Odds: Philadelphia Phillies -145 / Los Angeles Angels +133 --- Over/Under: 9.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: Bally Sports West Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Los Angeles Angels and Philadelphia Phillies face off on Monday in an MLB showdown at Citizens Bank Park.
Phillies Coming Off a Sweep
The Phillies come into this game with a 72-58 record overall and they were able to secure a series sweep against the St. Louis Cardinals. On Sunday the pitching was really good not giving up any runs and that led to the victory. The Phillies are averaging 4.8 runs per game while their pitching is giving up 4.28 runs per game. The Phillies offense and pitching are both ranked 11th. Kyle Schwarber has hit 36 home runs and driven in 84 RBIs. On the mound for the Phillies will be Taijuan Walker who sits with a 13-5 record and an ERA of 4.02. In his last start against the Giants he went five innings giving up six hits and three runs.
Phillies Betting Trends
- The favorites have won each of the last nine games between the Angels and Phillies.
- The Phillies have covered the run line eight of their last nine games at Citizens Bank Park against teams that held a losing record.
- The Phillies have led after 3 innings in each of their last four home night games.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Phillies' last three games as home favorites against AL West opponents.
- The Phillies have led after 7 innings in each of their last five games at Citizens Bank Park against opponents that held a losing record.
Remember When the Angels Decided not to Trade Ohtani?
The Angels went all in at the trade deadline deciding not to trade Shohei Ohtani and it looks like one of the dumbest decisions they could have made. It’s hard to imagine he’s going to want to return to the Angels, and now they aren’t even in the playoff race. They currently sit five games below .500 and on Sunday they were defeated 3-2. On the mound for the Angels will be Lucas Giolito who sits with a 7-10 record and an ERA of 4.32. In his last start against the Reds he went six innings giving up five hits and four runs.
Angels Betting Trends
- The Angels have won each of their last three games as underdogs following a loss.
- The road team has covered the run line in nine of the Angels' last 10 games.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Angels' last three games as underdogs against NL East opponents.
- The Angels have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last four games against opponents that held a winning record.
Phillies vs Angels Facts
- The Philadelphia Phillies ranks 5th in the league for triples this season (24).
- The Philadelphia Phillies ranks 5th in the league for batting average this season (.260).
- The Los Angeles Angels ranks 27th in the league for steals this season (63).
- The Los Angeles Angels ranks T5th in the league for strikeouts this season (1203).
Shane’s Free Pick
The Angels looked awful on Sunday and they are going to really struggle again in this game. Walker has pitched well this season and he’s also gotten plenty of run support when he’s been on the mound. Look for the Phillies to find success scoring against Giolito and that will be enough for the Phillies to get the job done. Back the Phillies.